• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

possibillity of being sued

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

friendofkid

I am hoping someone might be able to answer this question. A friend of mine would like me to watch her 14 year old child while she serves time in jail. She is willing to sign custody over to me. I live in florida with my father in a house which he owns jointly with my brothers. He is afraid that if anything happens to the child while he is in my care that he and my brothers could be sued for everything just because the child would be living under his roof. I have told him that I pay rent and am a seperate entity from them. And that the mother might only be able to sue me. Am I right or wrong.

ALawyer

Wrong. He could be sued (as if he was a landlord) if there is a claim the kid was injured at his place, although a large face amount homeowners policy plus an umbrella policy may solve this.

Even so anyone can start a suit anyone else, even if the case lacks merit, and it is for a jury to decide. Insurance covers defense costs and some liability.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">