• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LeahC

What is the name of your state? Wyoming

SO my 17 year old niece just told us shes pregnant and the father is 27. Her parents don't want to press charges but can he still be charged if someone else reports it even though they have parental consent. Could the parents possibly be charged for allowing it? Shes refusing to even see a dr till after her 18th birthday for fear he will be arrested.

LeahC

Its actually 17 but its unclear because they also have the 4 year law where you can consent at a younger age if the person is no ore then 4 years of age older then you, but its considered assault at 17 if the person is in a position of power over the minor and in this case its the parents room mate who acts as a parent or guardian when the need rises for all the kids ie taking them to the drs school and such. And the relationship started when she was 16 and the parents have been lying to everyone about it to protect him.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? Wyoming

SO my 17 year old niece just told us shes pregnant and the father is 27. Her parents don't want to press charges but can he still be charged if someone else reports it even though they have parental consent. Could the parents possibly be charged for allowing it? Shes refusing to even see a dr till after her 18th birthday for fear he will be arrested.
PLEASE let her (and her parents) know to look at the age of consent law in Wyoming. The child NEEDS to see a doctor for both her own well-being and that of the unborn child.

Tell me this: Is the father in any position of authority over her? For example, a teacher, coach, clergy-person, counselor, etc.

LeahC

Hes the parents room mate, he helps out taking the kids to their drs appointments and to school things like that when hes not working. The relationship started when she was 16 and he was staying with them to care for her after she had surgery.

Eekamouse

To care for her after she had surgery? Where the hell were her parents? Why were they pawning off their parental duties onto a roommate?

LeahC

To care for her after she had surgery? Where the hell were her parents? Why were they pawning off their parental duties onto a roommate?
She needed round the clock care for the first few weeks so they took shifts depending on everyones work schedules and the other kids schedules with school and sports and such>

PayrollHRGuy

Did the recently change the law because WY used to be unusual in that they had a different age for Male and Female?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
There are, apparently, different crimes that can be charged. I believe the male/female differences apply to sexual abuse of a child (but I'm not 100% sure and I'm spent enough time on it already).

TigerD

If she needed round-the-clock care, I wonder if she was capable of consent? This is probably worth addressing with a Wyoming attorney or law enforcement professional.

TD

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
There are, apparently, different crimes that can be charged. I believe the male/female differences apply to sexual abuse of a child (but I'm not 100% sure and I'm spent enough time on it already).
If there is a sex difference in the treatment between male and female victims or offenders that difference would make for a possible Constitutional challenge. Most states that previously had such sex differences have eliminated them in part because of that problem.

Eekamouse

She needed round the clock care for the first few weeks so they took shifts depending on everyones work schedules and the other kids schedules with school and sports and such>
What horrible parents she has! They didn't notice she was being preyed upon by their roommate or else they condoned it. Both options make me sick.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">