• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible Child Support Fraud - deleted thread

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Antigone*

Senior Member
tomsanturello
Junior Member Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5

Possible Child Support Fraud

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a question I live in Ohio and current am paying support on my 19 year old daughter she was suppose to be a full time student in order to keep receiving support from the time she turned 18 thru 19 after contacting the school and obtaining a copy of her attendance record I have found out that she wasn't a full time student and only attended 15 days of school the entire year and was expelled for truancy after missing 122 days she also moved out of her grandmothers house back in august of last year and her grandmother whom I was paying support to didn't notify anyone about the school issue or that she had moved out of her residence where do I stand on a case as I know fraud was commited

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by tomsanturello; Today at 10:24 AM.


Child Support Attorneys - Highly Experienced Attorney at Law. Call Today For a Free Consultation! - Amrita K. Dhaliwal - Charlotte, NC, Attorney, DWI, Traffic, Family Law, Wills



#2 Today, 10:41 AM
mistoffolees
Senior Member Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 14,233

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsanturello
I have a question I live in Ohio and current am paying support on my 19 year old daughter she was suppose to be a full time student in order to keep receiving support from the time she turned 18 thru 19 after contacting the school and obtaining a copy of her attendance record I have found out that she wasn't a full time student and only attended 15 days of school the entire year and was expelled for truancy after missing 122 days she also moved out of her grandmothers house back in august of last year and her grandmother whom I was paying support to didn't notify anyone about the school issue or that she had moved out of her residence where do I stand on a case as I know fraud was commited

What does the court order say - word for word (without names)?

And why are you just now finding out that the kid didn't attend school all of last year?




#3 Today, 10:43 AM
Silverplum
Senior Member Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 18,492

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistoffolees
What does the court order say - word for word (without names)?

And why are you just now finding out that the kid didn't attend school all of last year?

I wondered that, also. I'm also wondering how it is that Dad didn't know where daughter was living since last August.
__________________
Not generally known for sensitivity...





Silverplum
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Silverplum
Find all posts by Silverplum


#4 Today, 10:58 AM
tomsanturello
Junior Member Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5

I knew where she was living it just wasn't reported to the courts she moved out of her grandmothers house to Troy Ohio with her boyfriend as far as school goes she was a student @ Ecot I asked several times through out the year how school was going the school wouldn't even talk to me till I showed up in there off ice with a copy of the court order stating that I had rights to her records





tomsanturello
View Public Profile
Find all posts by tomsanturello


#5 Today, 11:01 AM
Zigner
Senior Member Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 34,544

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsanturello
I knew where she was living it just wasn't reported to the courts she moved out of her grandmothers house to Troy Ohio with her boyfriend as far as school goes she was a student @ Ecot I asked several times through out the year how school was going the school wouldn't even talk to me till I showed up in there off ice with a copy of the court order stating that I had rights to her records

You knew about the situation and you were just fine with the situation. This is not fraud.
__________________


#6 Today, 11:03 AM
Silverplum
Senior Member Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 18,492

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsanturello
I knew where she was living it just wasn't reported to the courts she moved out of her grandmothers house to Troy Ohio with her boyfriend

Is it court-ordered that Grandma has to notify the court if the child moves?


Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsanturello
as far as school goes she was a student @ Ecot I asked several times through out the year how school was going the school wouldn't even talk to me till I showed up in there off ice with a copy of the court order stating that I had rights to her records

Well, of course they don't talk to people over the phone. Of course you have to go there in person. I can't imagine expecting otherwise: the info you're requesting over the phone is personal info about a minor -- why WOULD the school give it out??
__________________


#7 Today, 11:06 AM
Zigner
Senior Member Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 34,544

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverplum
...the info you're requesting over the phone is personal info about a minor...

Kiddo is 19. What we have here is a random stranger calling to get information on an adult student. Honestly, I'm surprised he got any info at all, even after going to their office.
__________________
*
*





Zigner
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Zigner
Find all posts by Zigner


#8 Today, 11:07 AM
tomsanturello
Junior Member Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5

no I was not fine with the situation and reported it myself that she was no longer living at home and was told as long as she was a full time student she would continue to receive support I didn't get cooperation for the school till June 24th 2011 so how is that not fraud that the grandmother failed to report that the child has left home and wasn't attending school full time





tomsanturello
View Public Profile
Find all posts by tomsanturello


#9 Today, 11:08 AM
Silverplum
Senior Member Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 18,492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigner
Kiddo is 19. What we have here is a random stranger calling to get information on an adult student. Honestly, I'm surprised he got any info at all, even after going to their office.

Ah, yes -- 19! Apologies.
__________________


#10 Today, 11:11 AM
tomsanturello
Junior Member Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigner
Kiddo is 19. What we have here is a random stranger calling to get information on an adult student. Honestly, I'm surprised he got any info at all, even after going to their office.

It was in the court order that I have the same rights to records as the custodial parent they had to comply or be held in contempt of court





tomsanturello
View Public Profile
Find all posts by tomsanturello


#11 Today, 11:11 AM
Silverplum
Senior Member Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 18,492

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsanturello
no I was not fine with the situation and reported it myself that she was no longer living at home and was told as long as she was a full time student she would continue to receive support

Told by...whom?

What about the court order?


Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsanturello
I didn't get cooperation for the school till June 24th 2011 so how is that not fraud that the grandmother failed to report that the child has left home and wasn't attending school full time

Correction: you didn't GO TO the school till June 24, 2011. That's 100% on YOU. It's not the school's fault -- they aren't party to your court order, they are not obligated to tell you jack.

Now you have some facts. Why not file to discontinue support at this time, on the basis of your facts?
__________________



Silverplum
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Silverplum
Find all posts by Silverplum


#12 Today, 11:12 AM
Silverplum
Senior Member Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 18,492

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsanturello
It was in the court order that I have the same rights to records as the custodial parent they had to comply or be held in contempt of court

Who's the custodial parent?

Who is "they" as in, "they had to comply..."??

The SCHOOL is NOT a party to your court order. Period.
__________________




Silverplum
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Silverplum
Find all posts by Silverplum


#13 Today, 11:17 AM
tomsanturello
Junior Member Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5

the grandmother was the custodial parent the school had to comply with releasing the records court order states

the age of majority is 18 years of age. The duty of a parent to pay support under an administrative child support order can continue beyond the age of 18 if the child continuously attends, on a full-time basis, any recognized and accredited high school. The support order shall terminate, however, in the latter case once the child reaches the age of 19.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
 

Antigone*

Senior Member
What this guy doesn't understand is that the school is not a party to the CO and daughter is an adult.

All he has to do is petition the court to stop support, show his evidence and it's all done.
 

Silverplum

Senior Member
If no one notified you that she wasn't attending school, and you was still paying child support just to be paying it, you can take the person who receives the money for child to court. You can have them to pay you your money back from the time that the child stop going school up till you stop paying child support for your daughter.
You are incorrect.

Not surprising: you're new (2 posts and the first was a question over in the "Immigration" forum about how to avoid legal problems) and you don't know how to spell.

:rolleyes:
 

Antigone*

Senior Member
If no one notified you that she wasn't attending school, and you was still paying child support just to be paying it, you can take the person who receives the money for child to court. You can have them to pay you your money back from the time that the child stop going school up till you stop paying child support for your daughter.
Really:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:


Please cite case law backing up your claim.

I'll wait:cool:
 
Once OP stops CS order would he be able to get re-paid for CS spent while the child did not meet the state standard to still receive support?
 

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Once OP stops CS order would he be able to get re-paid for CS spent while the child did not meet the state standard to still receive support?
No. Because he should have stopped support on his child's 19th birthday. Why he didn't is beyond me.
 

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
Top