• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible contamination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nan77113

What is the name of your state? NC

I inherited a piece of property in NC (I live in FL). The property consists of two lots (together) in an upscale resort area. The area is zoned for residential. Homes on one side are in the $400,000 range. Adjacent to my property is an old abandoned gas station. A potential buyer of the property told me that it is possible that the undeground tanks have leaked to my property.

What do I do first to find out if this is so? Is it my responsibility to pay to clean it up if it has leaked? Is this regulated by the state? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

your first step is to get your ground tested. I do not believe that gasoline is able to be cleaned up. it usually is not state regulated other than they will not let residential building to go on with contaminated ground. zoning would have to be changed if this is the situation. good luck.

HomeGuru

lookitsmary said:
your first step is to get your ground tested. I do not believe that gasoline is able to be cleaned up.

**A: Correction- cleanup of LUST's is called abatement or remediation. www.epa.gov

it usually is not state regulated

**A: Correction- there are both state and Federal regulations applicable to the cleanup.

other than they will not let residential building to go on with contaminated ground. zoning would have to be changed if this is the situation. good luck.
**A: Correction: if the property is contaminated, no residential, commercial, industrial etc. building would be permitted and zoning would not have to be changed.

CORRECTION: in the state of florida the state will allow for a gas station to be built on this property. in order to do so zoning would have to be changed. State does not get involved with the clean up. this is not an easy process and there are alot of determining factors as to this but nevertheless this is how it is here.

HomeGuru

lookitsmary said:
CORRECTION: in the state of florida the state will allow for a gas station to be built on this property. in order to do so zoning would have to be changed. State does not get involved with the clean up. this is not an easy process and there are alot of determining factors as to this but nevertheless this is how it is here.
**A: lookitsmary, please refrain from providing advice on this website unless you are sure that your responses are accurate and pertinent.
In this thread, you appear to make up responses. In addition, the writer is asking about laws with respect to the state of North Carolina, not Florida.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">