• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible Creditor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dflynnjr

Should I sue before a Business files bankrupcy?

What is the name of your state? Missouri

My wife and I signed a contract with a landscaping and construction contractor to landscape our front yard, pour a patio and build a retaining wall for $4,000. After signing the contract, we gave them $2,000. After about a month of waiting, 3 missed scheduled dates, and about a dozen or so unreturned phone calls, we found that it is possible that the company will be filing for bankruptcy soon. I am considering going to courthouse and filing a small claims lawsuit against the company. Is it better to wait until after they file bankrupcy? Does it matter when I file my lawsuit? What is the likelyhood that I will actually get any money from this company? Are there any other options besides filing a lawsuit? How do I find out if a company has filed bankruptcy?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">