• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

possible Discrimination???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nxtxracer

What is the name of your state? nevada

Hi,
I started working at this place in march of 2002 and ever since then my manager always made fun of my name. At first I was just taking it as a joke but on couple of occusions I told him to stop doing that but he didn't stop. He would go on the companys intercom system and make fun of my name.
But last week while we were talking he made a comment about my name and told me that its my parents fault to name me that name and they should be held responsible. I got upset and told him to watch his mouth and keep his comments to himself. He took me to the back office and wanted me write me up for my behavior but when I started getting mad he told me that he will send me home. I told him that I will go home myself and left.
Now I was told my few people that this is a Discrimination case since my name is a muslim name and he was trying to send me home for confronting him.
Before I take any steps I would like to ask people on this board about wht I should do.

thanks

R

Ramoth

If he's picking on you BECAUSE your name is muslim, it's discrimination. If he's picking on you because you have a funny name (or at least HE thinks it's funny), it's just boorish behavior, and perfectly legal. In neither case is it appropriate for you to tell your boss to "watch his mouth" - that's insubordination. If you still have a job, file a complaint with HR or with your boss' boss.

Beth3

Have you complained to anyone in more senior management or human resources about his behavior? I agree he's a total jerk but whether this is prohibited discrimination is quite borderline.

F

feelinhoppy

I think its harrassment if.....

You have asked him to "STOP" my once you ask a person to stop their behavior and they continue it, it is harassment. At least thats what we were told at our sexual harassment classes at work

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You can't compare sexual harassment laws with other issues. Sexual harassment laws are only for sexual harassment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">