• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

possible fraud by insur/mtg co. Forced policy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jameserv

IOWA is where property is located.
Because of neglect by my insurance agent, i was left uncovered for insurance for 6months. My mtg co sent me notices and i resolved to find anyother agent who wrote a policy.
Mtg co did a forced place insurance policy (3-times the normal cost!)and appears to have PRE-DATED the policy to fit thier time frame.
According to the dates of my notices of thier intent to put this insurance in place, and from the postage date of the forced place policy,the mtg co &/or thier insurer have dated thier policy to a time such that it would be several months before i would have ever even received a notice (of intent to forced place insurance).
Q: Is this legal? They had to have predated the policy!

Im arguing w/mtg co that i wont pay for insurance during a period before i even received notice from them of intent to do a forced place insurance.

ALawyer

First you are angry with the agent, now with the mortgage company and the insurer.

I don't know Iowa law, but I do know that if you must carry and you did not have homeowners insurance for a period and thus the mortgage company got some for you. Yes you probably could have and should have had a better policy at lower cost, but YOU didn't. But you can now!

In terms of the past. You should not have had any period of double coverage or have to pay for double coverage. BUT if you had old coverage lapse, and there was a gap before the new coverage was ordered, it does not seem unfair for the bank to want to eliminate that gap (as if something happened but has not yet been reported, like a slip and fall, or release of pollution, the new carrier would say "not my responsibility") and thus to have you pay the cost of the insurance coverage from the date your old policy lapsed. Instead of asking is it legal? ask the morgage company and the imnsurance company why they did it if it wasn't to fill the gap.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">