• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible Illegal Charge for moving in?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sylar

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

I am looking to move to a new apartment building because the neighborhood has gotten really bad with crime where I am at. When I moved in, I HAD to pay security deposit (that's fine... it was one months rent, as it usually is everywhere I've ever rented), plus first AND last months rent. What really makes me mad about the situation is the fact that no one else had to pay such.

The lady I spoke with at the possible new residence said it has been long illegal to require last months rent like that. Is this true, and if so, when did this become illegal? If it was illegal, what are my recourse's?

treese

It is not illegal for a landlord in Florida to collect a security deposit and last month's rent.

You have no recourse because it is not illegal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">