• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

possible infringement of intellectual properties

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nlrivn

So I buy and sell on ebay is what i do for a living and how I pay my bills. Monday I got a letter from paypal that said:

"We received a court order on May 19, 2017, affecting your access to your
PayPal account due to possible infringement of intellectual properties."

I have no receive anything over the mail, no one has serve me with any kinda of papers and no one has provided me with a copy of any court order. Everyone that I contact about this issue cant or wont tell me anything. I was told that the court order was sealed. Meanwhile I have no access to my account I cant take or receive payments. Everyday that I dont have access to my account I am losing money. I called the court where this was filed and they only thing they told me was that it had to do with a movie or something that was stream. I dont download or stream anything illegal I have cable and use netflix for streaming movie. I do not know what to do. Can someone freeze my paypal account and no provide a reason why? Dont I have the right the view the court order that is being place against my account? Any advice would be appreciated.

daonly

So I buy and sell on ebay is what i do for a living and how I pay my bills. Monday I got a letter from paypal that said:

"We received a court order on May 19, 2017, affecting your access to your
PayPal account due to possible infringement of intellectual properties."

I have no receive anything over the mail, no one has serve me with any kinda of papers and no one has provided me with a copy of any court order. Everyone that I contact about this issue cant or wont tell me anything. I was told that the court order was sealed. Meanwhile I have no access to my account I cant take or receive payments. Everyday that I dont have access to my account I am losing money. I called the court where this was filed and they only thing they told me was that it had to do with a movie or something that was stream. I dont download or stream anything illegal I have cable and use netflix for streaming movie. I do not know what to do. Can someone freeze my paypal account and no provide a reason why? Dont I have the right the view the court order that is being place against my account? Any advice would be appreciated.
were you able to get this issue resolved? I am in the same boat, i rely on my ebay store which has been restricted. Any advice would be helpful.

ALawyer

Something does not sound right.

Are you saying that PayPal claims it received a court order concerning you well over a year ago, but failed to notify you until this week (today)? And yet notwithstanding that eBay allowed you to continue to operate as a seller on its site, using PayPal, for over a year until now? That's not how a responsible set of businesses operate.

If there was such an order and it applied to you PayPal and eBay should have and likely would have stopped you over a year ago. (It is possible that if there was such an order the firm sought a stay and/or appealed the order and only recently lost the stay/appeal.)

In addition, if you are quoting accurately, I strongly doubt a letter from one of those firms would have referred to -- and I quote you -- "intellectual properties" as the legal term is ""intellectual property" -- typically referring to trademarked goods or copyrighted material. While I could understand one of the firms denying you access to their platform if you sold pirated goods (such as phony Gucci items), or provided access to written or audio material that someone else had copyrighted, at first blush, it sounds as if the communication you supposedly received may have been sent not by PayPal but by a scammer.

The first step should be a written communication to the real PayPay -- and I would suggest you look up its address and the names of the senior executives online and then write to the firm's President and also to its General Counsel -- asking for a copy of the court order and clarification of what is involved, and ask for an opportunity to address the charges, and inquire why it took them so long to comply the court order.

quincy

This thread was created in 2017. The poster has no doubt had his issue resolved.

eBay will block or disable accounts when notified of infringement by a seller.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">