• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible loss of income if people proceed with work after Arkup says no

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LouisaC

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas. We bought our property 10 years ago. Was sold as a property on a dead end road. This road was closed off prior to our purchase in 2005. Land owners on the other side now want to "open the road back up" due to their culvert being washed out. They are wanting to sink several thousand dollars into this project and bring in dozers and fill as an "emergency ingress and egress". We were told that to fix "their entrance" would cost around $20,000 to do it correctly.

I told the people that my phone line runs the length of that 1/4 mile closed off road (complete wash out and there are places that my phone line is exposed) I told them that my phone line would be cut and I would lose my only income and possibly my job.

This morning Arkup showed up, the company people have to legally call to look for underground utilities prior to any digging, etc. My husband walked the road with him as he marked off my line. "it ran right down the middle of the road the full distance" in most areas less than 8 inches and several places where it was visible above the ground due to wash out and the road not being maintained by the county once it "was closed off".

The gentleman said that he was putting in his report that "no work was to be done due to my phone cable".

So my question is "IF I end up with the dozer and work trucks here to proceed with "their" project and my line will obviously get cut, what are my rights?

Can I call the sheriffs office to stop them? My possible pay and possible employment loss?

FarmerJ

Whose land was this old road on , Yours or the other persons land ? If it is your land then NO they cant just open it up, if that land belongs to them then you are free to ask the phone company what it would cost to relocate your line ( the ideal thing LOL is either the whole road is your land OR the old road was divided and half added to your land and half to theirs because then Id say you can find out what your city /county requires for set backs and insist they stay off of your part of the former roadbed).{if there is a set back requirement then it may well work out just fine as to your phone line not being disturbed.}

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">