• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible Malpractice

• Thread starter Donna L. Brooks
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Donna L. Brooks

When I was 13 I hade surgery for an anurisem in my head at that time they put a steel clip in my brain (unknown to me).
Now I'm 26 and was in a car wreck. They wanted me to get an MRI. They asked me if I had any metal in my body and I told them that I did have brain surgery but I didn't know if I had an implant. So they gave me the MRI (without a prescreen).
After that I started getting the symtoms that I got befor the surgery.
My Dr. has told me that by them doing an MRI on me that I could have died on the table. And that by not prescreening me with an x-ray was iresposible and dangerous and I should never have an MRI as long as I live under treat of life.
If my current problems are because the clip in my head was moved by the MRI and god for -give I need surgery to correct it, Then I was wondering would that be consider a malpractice case.
Since the MRI office did not follow procedure and may have caused me great harm.

A

Attorney_Replogle

Sounds like you may indeed have a case of medical malpractice. I don't practice that area of law myself, however I will try to give you some things to think of. By the way, to find an attorney near you who does handle medical malpractice claims, you can go to attorneypages.com.

First of all, of course you do (unfortunately!) have to be experiencing medical problems that you suspect was a result of the MRI. In other words, if say 5 to 10 years from now you started having problems, then you can't sue the hospital for that MRI they gave you. Why? Because you went past the Statute of Limitations.

A Statute of Limitations is a time period in which you have to sue someone for the injury they did to you. If you don't do that within that time period, then you forever lose all your rights as far as that claim goes.

In your case the Statute of Limitations is probably one year from the date of the MRI. However, you will have to consult with the medical malpractice attorney near you to confirm this timeline.

You will have to be seen by an independent medical doctor who will confirm or deny that you are suffering from X, and that X was caused by the hospital giving you an MRI. Then that expert doctor (or another one) will have to confirm or deny that the hospital did or did not follow the appropriate procedures given the situation. OK?

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">