• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

possible "minor's compromise" trust from 23 years ago

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kelsea

What is the name of your state? California

I was in a motor vehicle accident when I was 9 years old. My uncle (who was also in the wreck) has told me that I had been awarded a settlement that was put into a trust and I couldn't touch it until I was 25. Since he gave me this information we no longer speak and he gave me absolutely no details of this supposed trust. I currently reside in Oregon but this all happened in San Diego. I have also recently found the smallest amount of information pertaining to the case via the Superior Courts website. Because of the age of the case, however, any pertinent information has to be viewed in person on micro-film. Just trying to see what my options are if any? Is there an easier way to find out more information?

quincy

The most you are likely to get from a phone call is instructions on how to obtain the file in person or by mail (like the instructions given in the website link provided by Neil).

Kelsea

The most you are likely to get from a phone call is instructions on how to obtain the file in person or by mail (like the instructions given in the website link provided by Neil).

Thank you for the information... I will be in San Diego in a few weeks and just wanted to see if this would be a waste of time endeavor

PayrollHRGuy

The link provided by NeilTheCop. explains the ways for you to get the information. If you think they are going to read it to you over the phone you are nuts.

Kelsea

I didn't think they would read it to me over the phone, maybe just shed some light on whether or not there was even any pertinent information. Then I could determine if I needed to go another route. Your negative comment, quite frankly, was unnecessary and not needed or welcome. This is a forum to post your legal questions. I am not a lawyer and therefore needed the advice. I suggest that if you have nothing worth while to add to a thread you keep your negative comments to yourself. Have a nice day.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The only possibility is they might give you the name of the attorney who filed the documents to set up the trust.
The files are on microfiche - the clerks don't have immediate access, nor do they have time to do this, particularly when there is already a process in place for the information to be retrieved.

PayrollHRGuy

I didn't think they would read it to me over the phone, maybe just shed some light on whether or not there was even any pertinent information. Then I could determine if I needed to go another route. Your negative comment, quite frankly, was unnecessary and not needed or welcome. This is a forum to post your legal questions. I am not a lawyer and therefore needed the advice. I suggest that if you have nothing worth while to add to a thread you keep your negative comments to yourself. Have a nice day.
An employee at the court can't "maybe just shed some light on whether or not there was even any pertinent information" in the file. That would require making a legal judgment and they can't do that.

The linked site told you the 3 ways to get the information. If there were more they certainly would have posted them.

Kelsea

The only possibility is they might give you the name of the attorney who filed the documents to set up the trust.

Thank you. Honestly that is really all I'm looking for or even the new of the financial institution. I really was just looking to see if there was any certain process I had to go through in order to obtain the info and or access to the trust. I realize a clerk can't just go and fetch me the info however they could potentially give me advice on my best course of action. Thank you for your time and the information

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">