• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

possible "minor's compromise" trust from 23 years ago

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Upon further reflection, I think a phone call might actually be helpful. You will be able to find out the exact procedure for requesting the records. I understand that it's given on the web site, but there could have been some last minute change that didn't make it to the web site. Understand that you're not going to get anything from the records, rather, you're going to get up-to-the-minute information on the procedure for obtaining the records.

Just Blue

Upon further reflection, I think a phone call might actually be helpful. You will be able to find out the exact procedure for requesting the records. I understand that it's given on the web site, but there could have been some last minute change that didn't make it to the web site. Understand that you're not going to get anything from the records, rather, you're going to get up-to-the-minute information on the procedure for obtaining the records.
My thought exactly!

Kelsea

This is fantastic! Exactly what I was looking for I figured I wouldn't get much more info than that but wanted to reach out and see if anyone knew anything about this kind of thing. Thank you so much!

Dandy Don

Why are you and the uncle no longer on speaking terms? Is he a difficult individual to get along with?

A phone call to the court clerk's office will NOT get you anything except being brushed off--they will tell you they do not give legal advice and if they gave you the info over the phone that would deprive them of the fee they would otherwise charge you. They receive many requests and you may not receive a response for one to two weeks.

If you know someone in San Diego who would volunteer to go to the courthouse to look at the file in person on your behalf, that would be one way to go. Or you could do your research online to find a court runner or process server in San Diego (there are many individuals and companies who perform this service for a fee) who you could pay to go the court and make the copies you need.

The documents you receive will at least have enough clues for you to pursue, including the name and address of the attorney(s) involved with the case and maybe even the name of the bank where the trust account was held.

At some point you will want to consult with a business law or trust attorney in San Diego to find out whether or not your uncle had a legal responsibility as trustee to furnish your parents or your legal guardian or even you, as trust beneficiary, with notice about the existence of this money and whether he has done accounting statements for each year the trust has existed.

zddoodah

I'm a little surprised no one asked this already, but why not discuss the matter with your parents? Perhaps we're supposed to infer things by the fact that you didn't mention them, but I'm not inclined to do that.

Also, does the information you were able to access at the court's website identify the lawyer that represented you? If so, is he/she (or his/her firm) still around? If so, give him/her a call (you can search by name for California attorney at this link).

quincy

Also, does the information you were able to access at the court's website identify the lawyer that represented you? If so, is he/she (or his/her firm) still around? If so, give him/her a call (you can search by name for California attorney at this link).
If you read the entire thread, you will learn that the name of the attorney is one of the things Kelsea hopes to discover in the files.

Kelsea also said s/he will be in San Diego in a couple of weeks and will be able to request the files then.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">