• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible retaliation case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Alyssa Simmons

I am wondering what steps I can take to report my current landlord. I live in MA and have looked at some laws about tenant/landlord issues. Over the past 2 years my husband and I have had many problems with the landlord either not fixing things or only fixing them after numerious requests. These problems include plumbing and heating problems, windows, doors and other code violations that he is required to keep up with. If he does fix it he just band-aides it and it breaks again in a couple months. He also just decided to terminate our tencancy on the 29th. We do have a month to month so I understand that all he has to do is give us 30 days (same in return for us)but it came the day after I went up to the office and had the ONLY face to face confrintation with him about the above issues. Our rent payment for over 2 years has always been on time and never had a problem, there was no warning of this. I have also found that he increased our rent last month illegally. Now, we have found a bigger and better place to live but I want to stop this landlord from getting away with this! Please any advise on this would be VERY helpful!

D

David J. Miller

If you have'nt filed any formal complaints it would be difficult to prove retaliation. Your word against his.

J

Jack Mevorach, Esq.

You've found a bigger and better place to live but you don't want to let your LL get away with this. My experience is that, in the LL/T context, you'd be a dangerous, unhappy client. Your motivation is revenge and/or principle. These are not good reasons to pursue claims or litigate. Drop it and move on with your lives.

W

Wgoodrich

You might want to file a complaint with your Building Code Enforcement and Board of health. Then let it drop. If this landlord builds a history of the type of conditions you describe then the Officials will react. I doubt that they will react on your complaint alone, just investigate. If enough reports go through their office on this landlord then they probably would react. If no one complains then the Building Officials or Board of Health will have no records showing a trail of neglect by this landlord.

Don't seek revenge, just seek civil duty.

Good Luck

Wg

A

Alyssa Simmons

Thank you all for the advise. My point was not for revenge, it was for the "right" thing to do. This landlord is the type that thinks treating people(specially tenants) this way is acceptable! I am looking to start the ball rolling and hoping that when we move on that the other (very unhappy) tenants will complaine too! Thank you again for the advise.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">