• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible small claims suit while in Chapter 13

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stoklee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

My Husband and I are paying off a Chapter 13. Where we currently live, we are on a month to month Tenancy. Because of the slow economy, for the last eight months, my Husband was only working part-time. Our Landlords have raised our rent so high, we were forced to move. They now are threatening to take us to small claims court for monies owed (for repairs). Legally they can not, is that correct and also, when I file an answer with small claims court, is that what my answer is, "we are currently in Chapter 13 Bankruptcy and we have an automatic stay?" Please advise. Thank you for your help.

bigun

I'd suggest you allow your bk attorney to write the letter before, they sue.
A letter from a lawyer with a warning about violating the automatic stay may encourage them to drop the matter. If it doesn't, they may well have to write you a check if they continue to try and collect.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">