• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible Unjust Vacation/PTO Policy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

souvenirmaker

I live in California working for organization which is based in Ohio. There has recently been a management change. This directly impacted my direct report (the manager I directly report to). This Manager is based outside of California (if that makes a difference).

Anyhow, since my new manager has taken the new position, they have stated that no 2 week vacations will be granted unless I am scheduled to leave the country. Previous the announcement, I put in a request for a two week vacation, then this new policy (which isn't documented in any corporate documentation) was set in place. I was told of this new policy and my request was denied. I would like to have the option for a 2 week vacation without having to justify a trip out of the country.

Does this new policy conflict with any California Laws?

Antigone*

I live in California working for organization which is based in Ohio. There has recently been a management change. This directly impacted my direct report (the manager I directly report to). This Manager is based outside of California (if that makes a difference).

Anyhow, since my new manager has taken the new position, they have stated that no 2 week vacations will be granted unless I am scheduled to leave the country. Previous the announcement, I put in a request for a two week vacation, then this new policy (which isn't documented in any corporate documentation) was set in place. I was told of this new policy and my request was denied. I would like to have the option for a 2 week vacation without having to justify a trip out of the country.

Does this new policy conflict with any California Laws?
Nope:cool::cool:

The mandatory-two-week vacation law was toss out with prop 187.;), and the California Legislature has been too busy stuffing their own pockets to care about anything else.

pattytx

There is no law that prohibits the employer from limiting approval of vacation time to strict conditions. Unfair? Yeah, I think so. But not illegal.

Fortunately, you're in California, so when you are separated from employment, the vacation must be paid out.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There is no state that mandates how vacation can be taken to that degree. It's entirely up to the employer how much time you may take at once.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">