• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Post-closing bill from contractor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

avsfan64

What is the name of your state? Indiana

My husband and I recently had a house built in southern Indiana. We closed on the mortgage in late July (around 7/20) and moved in right after that. When we closed on the mortgage, we signed the last check which was paid to our contractor and should have covered everything we owed him. However, a few days ago (9/28) the contractor showed up on our doorstep with an additional bill for $119, saying he had forgotten to charge us for a couple of items. It is my understanding that when he picked up the final check at our bank that he had to sign a paper releasing all liens on our house and verifying that he had received all money due him. My question is, do we have to pay him for this additional $119 and if so, what is to stop him from showing up 2 months from now with an additional bill? I do not see how we can be responsible for his failure to include something in the final bill. I plan on contacting my bank about this as well, but I would like to get an additional opinion.

The $119 was for electrical work (ceiling fan hook-up, additional telephone jacks).

Last edited:

HomeGuru

avsfan64 said:
What is the name of your state? Indiana

My husband and I recently had a house built in southern Indiana. We closed on the mortgage in late July (around 7/20) and moved in right after that. When we closed on the mortgage, we signed the last check which was paid to our contractor and should have covered everything we owed him. However, a few days ago (9/28) the contractor showed up on our doorstep with an additional bill for $119, saying he had forgotten to charge us for a couple of items. It is my understanding that when he picked up the final check at our bank that he had to sign a paper releasing all liens on our house and verifying that he had received all money due him. My question is, do we have to pay him for this additional $119 and if so, what is to stop him from showing up 2 months from now with an additional bill? I do not see how we can be responsible for his failure to include something in the final bill. I plan on contacting my bank about this as well, but I would like to get an additional opinion.

**A: if he signed a lien release then you are protected from him filing a lien, but he could still file small claims action to collect. Now what is the amount actually for? If he did not bill for something that was outside of the contract, the pay it. You could have him sign a receipt and agreement that there will be no future invoices and you have paid in full on the construction job. For that small an amount I would just pay it.
Reason being, in the future if you need to call him on a warranty item, he may be more inclined to cooperate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">