• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Post Divorce Bankrupcy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

djcavaliere

My divorce decree ststes that me ex husband will be responsible for all joint debt. One year after the divorce he filed for chapter 13 bankrupcy. Now I have the bankrupcy and several bad debt notations on my credit report. Can I have these removed because it is not my debt any longer? Please advise!

------------------
Cavaliere

R

Roger Reich

This is one you must speak to your lawyer about. A lot depends on exactly whatthe divorce papers say.

The creditors don't care about the fact that your husband agreed to pay all the obligations -- that was between you and him. If you agreed to pay all my bills, my creditors would not let me of the hook if you didn't.

Unless they agreed only he was liable, you are still on the hook. Whether his obligation to you is discharged in bankruptcy, so you might eventually collect, is another matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">