• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Post-minority

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lollyg

What is the name of your state? NM
My divorce decree states that we understood the post-minority financial provisions for our child were unerforceable due to lack of jurisdiction when included in a marital settlement agreement. It then stated: In recognition of this limitation, both parents freely and voluntarily agree to provide financial support as stated in this document after she turned 18.
My daughter just turned 18, child support ended, and she recently started college in Texas. I have paid over 2/3 of the cost as her dad is unwilling to pay more than 1/3, even though this is his only child and he makes more than twice my income.
Does this clause in my decree allow me to seek (and get) 50% from him, or is it just there for appearances?

bononos

I know! I know!
Ever heard of student loans?
Or maybe, working (to assist in paying) and going to school at the same time?

Sorry all, rough morning and a short fuse. Don't mean to be so snippy! :mad:

lollyg

Belize,
The text I used in my original post is pretty much verbatim from a paragraph which follows the child support parameters.

BelizeBreeze

lollyg said:
Belize,
The text I used in my original post is pretty much verbatim from a paragraph which follows the child support parameters.
Pretty much doesn't cut it. Either come back with the EXACT wording or wait until someone else helps.

lollyg

Belize,

Per your request, Paragraph F from Marital Settlement Agreemnt dated 3/96:

Petitioner and Respondent fully understand that post financial provisions for their child are unenforceable for lack of jurisdiction when such provisions are included in a Marital Settle Agreement executed incident to a dissolution of marriage action. In recognition of this limitation, both parents freely and voluntarily agree to provide financial support as stated in these document after ______ attains 18 years of age.

BelizeBreeze

lollyg said:
Belize,

Per your request, Paragraph F from Marital Settlement Agreemnt dated 3/96:

Petitioner and Respondent fully understand that post financial provisions for their child are unenforceable for lack of jurisdiction when such provisions are included in a Marital Settle Agreement executed incident to a dissolution of marriage action. In recognition of this limitation, both parents freely and voluntarily agree to provide financial support as stated in these document after ______ attains 18 years of age.
and Based solely on the specific language of that clause, you have no recourse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">