• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

potential termination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

baum

I am in Minnesota.

So. i have have had a part time job with a company for a little over 8 years now. They hired me back then knowing my availability (due to having a full time job also). When i started the company was small (only about 8 employees) now the company has grown to over 20 employees and sales have sky rocketed. Instead of me being a person now im starting to be a number since im a pt'er. They have allowed me to work remote for the last 7+ years with going to the office as needed. they have informed me that this is going away. They have also informed that my availability is not sufficient for them anymore.

do i stand any ground for any legal action if they terminate me?

Thanks

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
None whatsoever. They have no legal obligation to allow you to work remotely or to adhere to the "availability" you gave them seven years ago. If these arrangements no longer work for them, they are free to let you go and find someone who can work where and when they need them.

commentator

And since you are already working full time at another job elsewhere, you don't need to file a claim for unemployment benefits, since you are probably already making more than your weekly benefit would be and thus would not be able to draw it. But in this type of situation, unemployment insurance is your only recourse when a company "finds you redundant" as they say in some countries. If they can no longer use your services they are fully free to let you go due to "lack of work" for you, even though they still have work for other people and they did not lay off according to seniority or any other fairness criteria. Those types of issues come into play only in a union atmosphere. This is not an "at fault" or "with cause" termination, it's just a business decision they made.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">