• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Power of Attorney Granting and About- Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KaylaMarie702

What is the name of your state?- California and Utah.

My boyfriend is currently in a federal prison in California. He wants to grant power of attorney to me, so I can handle things for him. Both Medical and Legal. But I don't much about it. Can someone explain the ins and outs? What will I be able to do with this responsibility?
Do I need to fill out any paperwork? I live in Utah, will I need to be present? Would he fill out paperwork for the state of California or Utah? The prison he is at, doesn't notarize anything, so how would he grant me such responsibility?
Thanks in advance!

Just Blue

My boyfriend is currently in a federal prison in California. He wants to grant power of attorney to me, so I can handle things for him. Both Medical and Legal. But I don't much about it. Can someone explain the ins and outs? What will I be able to do with this responsibility?
Do I need to fill out any paperwork? I live in Utah, will I need to be present? Would he fill out paperwork for the state of California or Utah? The prison he is at, doesn't notarize anything, so how would he grant me such responsibility?
Thanks in advance!
How old are you? How long will he be in prison?

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights

Thanks in advance!
In CA, a POA must either be notarized OR witnessed by 2 disinterested parties.

And he will need to outline the scope of the responsibilities in the POA -- does he want you to have end of life decisions? Make medical decisions if he's incapacitated? Access to his bank accounts? Whatever he wants you to be able to do he needs to specify in the document.

You don't need to be present, but he'll need to send you the original. Some banks have their own POA forms they want used, so check with them what they'll need.

FlyingRon

My recommendation is you get a lawyer to represent him and draft the POA. Getting things signed and notarized by prisoners is what they do. He'll have an easier time of it than you will.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">