• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Power-of-Attorney misuse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lotsakidz4

What is the name of your state? California
My sister-in-law sold a car that was in her name and my brothers. She
either did it by signing her name only or using the power-of-attorney
she had. The power-of-attorney stipulated that she could only sign
for him with his permission and knowledge first. (he is out of the
country) She had neither of these when she sold the car. My question
is this: can you sell a car with one signature only if it's in two peoples names? (she lives in California) And if not, then she used the
power-of-attorney to sign his name and misused her power. The new car she bought with the money is in her name only. Did the car dealership
have any responsiblity to make sure the power-of-attorney was being
used properly? What can be done legally?

HappyMarriage2

I am a title clerk at an auto auction. Both registered owners must sign off the title. The dealership would have no way of knowing if she had husband's permission to use power of attorney. New car could not be put in his name unless he was there to sign title application. I am not sure if she could have used power of attorney to sign title application for him.

Lotsakidz4

I did found out the title read "or" between their names. So apparently she would have been able to sell without his signature. However, some new info was discovered--she sold the car after she had filed for divorce. I guess that is not allowed regardless of how the title of the car was written. He's also discovered that all his belongings are gone. She also refuses to let him see his child. I didn't know such evil was alive and well. So sad for him to live through this. A court date is set for this Monday. I hope a judge is fair and punishes her for being so cruel and violating the rules of divorce. Thanks for letting me vent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">