• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pre employment criminal background checks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Asotm

What is the name of your state? Alabama. I applied for a job that ran a pre-employment background check 3 weeks ago, I am in Alabama they said that they were waiting on a response from Ohio but let’s get you started. Well I ran a check to find out I have a capias issued in 1999 because for a 5th degree felony for not finishing paying back $800 for collecting unemployment. I ran a check myself to find out why Ohio was taking so long to return the background check results and that’s what it revealed. Will this background check prompt Ohio authorities to come to Alabama to pick me up? Will this information eventually be provided to then employer and cause me to be fired? Can I just send the state of Ohio certified funds. I have no other records anywhere.

commentator

Well I ran a check to find out I have a capias issued in 1999 because for a 5th degree felony for not finishing paying back $800 for collecting unemployment. I ran a check myself to find out why Ohio was taking so long to return the background check results and that’s what it revealed. Will this background check prompt Ohio authorities to come to Alabama to pick me up? Will this information eventually be provided to then employer and cause me to be fired? Can I just send the state of Ohio certified funds. I have no other records anywhere.
If you are talking about sending the state of Ohio random money to supposedly pay off an overpayment from an unemployment fraud case where you had agreed to a repayment plan and then failed to meet it in 1999, the answer is no. In fact, at this point, I'd say it is too late to actually repay this money at all to the agency, once it has been turned over and gone into the court system. You'll have to deal with it through the court system where the warrant was actually issued. I doubt Ohio authorities would be tempted to come and pick you up, you'd hardly be worth the money to pay for such a trip, but as for the rest of it, I think I'd work at trying to get this taken care of and off my record as soon as possible. Could it get reported and cause you to be fired? Certainly could. Legally, too.

But hey, haven't I always said that these things don't go away easily, and that it's better to set up and then follow through on a modest repayment plan than to overpromise and then leave the state or something?

Asotm

If you are talking about sending the state of Ohio random money to supposedly pay off an overpayment from an unemployment fraud case where you had agreed to a repayment plan and then failed to meet it in 1999, the answer is no. In fact, at this point, I'd say it is too late to actually repay this money at all to the agency, once it has been turned over and gone into the court system. You'll have to deal with it through the court system where the warrant was actually issued. I doubt Ohio authorities would be tempted to come and pick you up, you'd hardly be worth the money to pay for such a trip, but as for the rest of it, I think I'd work at trying to get this taken care of and off my record as soon as possible. Could it get reported and cause you to be fired? Certainly could. Legally, too.

But hey, haven't I always said that these things don't go away easily, and that it's better to set up and then follow through on a modest repayment plan than to overpromise and then leave the state or something?
Thank you for your response, I had no idea that collecting unemployment while on limited pay during training was against the law. The minute I was on regular pay I stopped it. I had no notice until I was stopped for a light being out and arrested. I found out it’s only $850 which I have no problem paying it, to get this off my record, but I have no idea when I can get to Ohio. This would prevent me getting a passport as well wouldn’t it?

I'm sure that an outstanding felony arrest warrant will preclude you not only from getting a passport but possibly also a drivers license.

quincy

Thank you for your response, I had no idea that collecting unemployment while on limited pay during training was against the law. The minute I was on regular pay I stopped it. I had no notice until I was stopped for a light being out and arrested. I found out it’s only $850 which I have no problem paying it, to get this off my record, but I have no idea when I can get to Ohio. This would prevent me getting a passport as well wouldn’t it?
You should speak to an attorney in Ohio to see if you can take care of the warrant without making a personal appearance in court.

The background check might still show the offense that led to the warrant. Once you take care of this, you can look into having your record sealed.

A felony and a warrant can both affect your ability to get a passport and a job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">