• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pre Employment Fingerprint Check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluefavorite

What is the name of youe state? KY

I was given a position as a teacher. By law we have to be finger print checked. I got asked how long I have lived at my house, I had to send copies of my TB skin test to them and my question is wouldn't my fingerprint background check tell them everything including how long I have been at my address.

I am starting to feel like the employer is really incompetent and I took the wrong job. Or do they need that to somehow initiate my check? They have yet to ask for my SS card. Just driver license and college transcript!

Also, they never mentioned a drug screen. Which I will pass but it seems that would be important. The tb test was at a place that does drug screens so, I am really feeling like they don't have it together, or something.

Is this normal?

Last edited:

Bluefavorite

No, your fingerprint check is only going to find your criminal history.

Different employers do things in different orders.
Why would they want to know how long I have lived here? I have had background checks before and never asked that. They were able to get my criminal history with my SSN and my Drivers License. Drug tests were always the first thing.

PayrollHRGuy

Why would they want to know how long I have lived here? I have had background checks before and never asked that. They were able to get my criminal history with my SSN and my Drivers License. Drug tests were always the first thing.
It is so they know if they need to look in other states as well.

Bluefavorite

It is so they know if they need to look in other states as well.
Oh ok. Thanks for your clarification. I cannot believe they are nor drug testing me first. It is a easy way to eliminate the whole hassle. But I will just ask when I talk to them next how long this takes.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Oh ok. Thanks for your clarification. I cannot believe they are nor drug testing me first. It is a easy way to eliminate the whole hassle. But I will just ask when I talk to them next how long this takes.
Wait, are you saying that you would fail a drug test, thus saving them the time on the other tests? C'mon.

Bluefavorite

Wait, are you saying that you would fail a drug test, thus saving them the time on the other tests? C'mon.
No. I am saying if I were them I would order a drug test first ti eliminate anyone on drugs. I am not on drugs. The fact a drug test has not even been brought up makes me think they literally do not have great management and I took the wrong job.

I am not on drugs. I will likely take an offer that is still standing at a place that does drug tests and does not start an e mail with "hey".

adjusterjack

I don't know how long you have been in the working world but if you want the job you comply with the employer's requirements or you decline and seek employment elsewhere. The why is irrelevant.

In most places the requirements are much more rigorous than those you have described.

zddoodah

I was given a position as a teacher. By law we have to be finger print checked. I got asked how long I have lived at my house, I had to send copies of my TB skin test to them and my question is wouldn't my fingerprint background check tell them everything including how long I have been at my address.
I would hope it obvious that a "fingerprint background check" isn't going to tell anyone anything about whether you have tuberculosis. Beyond that, I'm not sure what you mean by "tell them everything." "Everything" includes a LOT of stuff. While it might provide information about how long you've been at your current address, who cares? Also, if your answer to the question contradicts what they find by way of the background check, and may be a problem.

I am starting to feel like the employer is really incompetent and I took the wrong job.
Why? Nothing you put in your post could reasonably suggest that to anyone. Are there things that led you to feel this way that you didn't mention in your post?

Or do they need that to somehow initiate my check?
I'm curious why you're asking these questions of anonymous strangers on the internet. It seems that you'd stand a MUCH better chance of getting accurate information if you ask "them."

Is this normal?
I doubt anyone here has any personal knowledge about what is or isn't "normal" in connection with hiring a teacher in Kentucky. More importantly, your post doesn't appear to raise any legal issue.

Bluefavorite

I don't know how long you have been in the working world but if you want the job you comply with the employer's requirements or you decline and seek employment elsewhere. The why is irrelevant.

In most places the requirements are much more rigorous than those you have described.
20 years and an ex government employee. I likely will seek employment elsewhere since I do not like being e - mailed with "hey" as an opener and the reviews of the company on job posting sites by ex teachers are the same complaints I have, "Management is terrible.".

Bluefavorite

I would hope it obvious that a "fingerprint background check" isn't going to tell anyone anything about whether you have tuberculosis. Beyond that, I'm not sure what you mean by "tell them everything." "Everything" includes a LOT of stuff. While it might provide information about how long you've been at your current address, who cares? Also, if your answer to the question contradicts what they find by way of the background check, and may be a problem.

Why? Nothing you put in your post could reasonably suggest that to anyone. Are there things that led you to feel this way that you didn't mention in your post?

I'm curious why you're asking these questions of anonymous strangers on the internet. It seems that you'd stand a MUCH better chance of getting accurate information if you ask "them."

I doubt anyone here has any personal knowledge about what is or isn't "normal" in connection with hiring a teacher in Kentucky. More importantly, your post doesn't appear to raise any legal issue.
My main concern is they have not asked me to provide any proof of my citizenship. It is standard to ask for a copy of a SS card and they have not given me a drug test. This posts has people who know about hiring, therefore I am wondering if this employer is just, crap. That is my gut feeling.

And no I have nothing to worry about in any background check. It is the way in which they are going about it that seems for lack of better terms, "a$$ backwards".

As an employee I would like to be employed by competent people and not a bunch of idiots. The process is a two way street. While they get to decide if I am a good fit, I also get to check them out. Either of us can drop one another at any time. Interview was great. Facility was what I was looking for. They said I had everything they are looking for. But, management can make or break a job. If I already am not happy with their way of doing things then, I want to know how orthodox it is. If it is uncommon to do a check in this manner, skipping 2 crucial steps, a drug screen and my proof of citizenship, then, I do not want to work for them.

Bluefavorite

I also do not like the fact that they accepted a copy of my official college transcript that I have had for over 10 years for my owm records.

When I became a government worker I had to have the college send them an unopened copy of my transcripts. I know it is real. But, they don't. So if I were an employer I would,
1. check references
2. Ask for proof of citizenship and drug screen if that passed, then..
3. Ask for official transcripts be sent to me
4. If those checked out then...
5. Use my companies money to do criminal check.

Yeah, I have not been looking for jobs in a long time. So I feel they are missing steps that make no sense to me. Leading me to believe they may not be the best employer.

And I do not, ever, EVER like having a professional e - mail sent to me starting off with, "hey". That is very unprofessional, imo as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">