• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

pre-exising conditions and medicaid

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

egor67

What is the name of your state? Texas

My children lived with me in the state of Vermont. During that time they were covered under Medicaid. My daughter was also receiving treatment for her ankle. The children have moved to Texas and are now covered through my ex-wife's employer (ETNA). Can my daughter's ankle be covered under the new plan or does fall under the category of pre-existing conditions?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Off the top of my head I don't remember whether Medicaid counts as "creditable coverage" with relation to pre-ex conditions. However, even if it doesn't, the maximum length of time any condition can be considered pre-ex is 12 months (18 months if you are considered a late enrollee). Also, the length of time since your daughter had her last treatment for her ankle would be considered; if she has had no treatment in the last 12 months, it cannot be considered pre-ex even if Medicaid is not considered creditable coverage. Finally, just because a condition CAN be considered pre-ex does not mean that it WILL; not all insurance carriers utilize pre-ex conditions even when they are legally allowed to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">