• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pre-existing carpenter ant problem landlord wont handle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Devansean94

Hello,

My wife and I just moved into a new property which we are renting. Upon moving in roughly two and a half weeks into our 3 year lease we had noticed an issue with carpenter ants in the house. Less than a week later, they had begun pouring out of the walls around the baseboards and from the light fixtures in the ceiling. Once upon a time I was in the business of pest control, so I know this infestation could not have become an issue within the three weeks that we lived here. The landlord is refusing to pay for professional pest control services, and stated that they will not consider offsetting the cost until we have already paid for it and then they will make a decision on the ultimatum. My question is, even though the law states that if an infestation occurs after the tenants move in they are responsible for it, could I and what I need to provide proof that this was pre-existing before we moved in to force the landlord to pay for these inherited issues of ours? Thank you

quincy

Hello,

My wife and I just moved into a new property which we are renting. Upon moving in roughly two and a half weeks into our 3 year lease we had noticed an issue with carpenter ants in the house. Less than a week later, they had begun pouring out of the walls around the baseboards and from the light fixtures in the ceiling. Once upon a time I was in the business of pest control, so I know this infestation could not have become an issue within the three weeks that we lived here. The landlord is refusing to pay for professional pest control services, and stated that they will not consider offsetting the cost until we have already paid for it and then they will make a decision on the ultimatum. My question is, even though the law states that if an infestation occurs after the tenants move in they are responsible for it, could I and what I need to provide proof that this was pre-existing before we moved in to force the landlord to pay for these inherited issues of ours? Thank you
What is the name of your state?

adjusterjack

the law states that if an infestation occurs after the tenants move in they are responsible for it,
What law of what state says that?

Once upon a time I was in the business of pest control, so I know this infestation could not have become an issue within the three weeks that we lived here.
Then you should also know that $20 worth of Max Force ant granules solves the problem rather quickly. Go buy some, get rid of your ants, present the receipt and ask for reimbursement.

xylene

Max Force ant granules
No, that's not nearly enough. And actually carpenter ants often don't take baiting and perimeter treatments do little to address a these well established internal colonies of carpenter ants. They are eating the building. And they aren't something the OP could 'track in' or any baloney landlord apologist nonsense.

Carpenter ants, in a severe infestation, one can expect to need multiple treatments, including precisely targeted spot treatment and a even a modest nest is likely to require the services of a carpenter or contractor team to remediate the vast galleries and flammable frass these ants leave in there wake.

This landlord has their head... hidden somewhere. Hell bent on alowing their property to wither and literally be eaten by destructive pests who are arguablly as destructive as termites. Perhaps more so.

FarmerJ

Call your city -county building inspections desk and tell them when you moved in and when you began to see those ants and that your LL refuses to do any thing about it

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">