• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pre Tax Healthcare Premiums

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jeterfan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I am a missionary in France for the past 5 years and up until this month have been covered under an Aetna healthcare plan. The US/French agreement of 1987 says I must enter the French Social System (healthcare and social security) which I am doing this month. My US employer was taking out my Aetna premium on a pre tax basis and paying Aetna. Now my premium is going to the French government which I pay myself. My US employer now says that my healthcare premium is taxable because they are not paying it and I am not enrolled in the Aetna group plan. Aren't healthcare dollars healthcare dollars? I am a US citizen being paid in US dollars, filing both US and French tax returns. Is there a way to make my healthcare premiums pre tax?

Thanks,
Steve

pattytx

The French medical insurance system is not a qualified plan under ERISA. Therefore, yes, your premiums (or just think of them as taxes) are now after-U.S. tax and no, there is no way "around" it.

See your tax advisor. You may be able to write them off on your 1040.

TIMMAAYY

If your employer would put in an alternate funding plan, all of you could get your premium paid for pre-tax, regardless of what plan you are on. Section 105... IRS... been there since 1952. There IS a way around it. But, it's up to your employer, not you, to install a plan document and set up the plan.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">