• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PRE-TRIAL OFFICER SET ME UP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I live in denver Colorado and was sentenced to 90 days on house arrest which I am able to leave for work. Problem is, I work an hour and 10 minutes away from my house, in the beginning of winter. My paperwork says if I come home early or late, that is a penalty and could serve the rest of my sentence in county jail. He has given me an hour and a half to get to work (seems reasonable) but he gave me 45 minutes to get home (not possible unless the car I'm in is speeding heavily) In snowy conditions this is not only impossible but extremely dangerous. I've tried contacting him but he wont get back to me. Should I write a letter to the judge? Is there anything I can do? Its snowing heavily as I'm typing this and I'm going to come home late again tonight. P.s. my friend and i almost flippin died last night trying to get home on time.

quincy

I live in denver Colorado and was sentenced to 90 days on house arrest which I am able to leave for work. Problem is, I work an hour and 10 minutes away from my house, in the beginning of winter. My paperwork says if I come home early or late, that is a penalty and could serve the rest of my sentence in county jail. He has given me an hour and a half to get to work (seems reasonable) but he gave me 45 minutes to get home (not possible unless the car I'm in is speeding heavily) In snowy conditions this is not only impossible but extremely dangerous. I've tried contacting him but he wont get back to me. Should I write a letter to the judge? Is there anything I can do? Its snowing heavily as I'm typing this and I'm going to come home late again tonight. P.s. my friend and i almost flippin died last night trying to get home on time.
You will need to get the order changed to reflect your commute time. Talk to your probation officer. I suggest you have evidence to show the need for a longer time allowance. A letter to the judge will be ignored,

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Write a letter to whoever is overseeing your matter.

ETA: You use "he" above, but you never told us who "he" is. In any case, the guy you can't reach on the phone is the one you need to write to.

You will need to get the order changed to reflect your commute time.
I tried to tell him it was impossible in the initial meeting. He doesn't care at all, he says it does bot take an hour to get to boulder, Colorado from highlands ranch. I doubt he will make any adjustments until he realizes I'm right. I'm just hoping it's not too late by that time

quincy

ETA: You use "he" above, but you never told us who "he" is. In any case, the guy you can't reach on the phone is the one you need to write to.
If the "he" is the probation officer, a call can be made to the probation office.

Again, have evidence to present showing necessary commute time.

"He" is the pre-trial officer and I will do that. I do have sufficient proof of commute time. Does weather affect any of this? If I'm a few minutes late coming because the highway is backed up, is that a big problem? Or something that can be resolved? I'm an absolute wreck about all this.

quincy

"He" is the pre-trial officer and I will do that. I do have sufficient proof of commute time. Does weather affect any of this? If I'm a few minutes late coming because the highway is backed up, is that a big problem? Or something that can be resolved? I'm an absolute wreck about all this.
Whether a few minutes matter is up to your probation officer. It seems unlikely that you would be violated if you can support the reason for the few minutes delay. Weather and road conditions are good reasons for a delay. But, again, it really depends on your probation officer.

edit: Map routes online show a 46.1 mile distance or 1 hour 9 minute commute between Highland Ranch and Boulder via US-36W, and 53.1 mile distance or 1 hour 15 minute commute via I-12N and US-36. A 45 minute time allowance seems unreasonable and not doable.

Last edited:

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
edit: Map routes online show a 46.1 mile distance or 1 hour 9 minute commute between Highland Ranch and Boulder via US-36W, and 53.1 mile distance or 1 hour 15 minute commute via I-12N and US-36. A 45 minute time allowance seems unreasonable and not doable.
There is no way anyone is making it to Boulder from Highlands Ranch in 45 minutes even in perfect weather and non rush hour traffic. The trip requires taking I-25 (or 85 to I-25) to US 36. Highlands Ranch is well south of Denver, and both I-25 and US 36 often are too congested in spots to move at the full speed limit. If the probation officer lives in the Denver metro area he really ought to know that more time is needed, especially for days like yesterday with significant snow.

It certainly does NOT involve taking I-12, which is a "interstate" highway entirely in Louisiana. ;) Also, interstate highways with even numbers run east-west, whereas those with odd numbers run north-south. So whatever map showed you I-12 is a bit...off. Perhaps it showed state highway 121 (Wadsworth Blvd), which is an option but one I normally would not take for that trip because it is slower city traffic with a lot of stop lights -- really not a true highway. Might be useful if 85 and I-25 were really messed up though.

quincy

Right. That is what I said.

There is no route available that Bryce can take that will get him between Highland Ranch and Boulder in 45 minutes. It is state highway 12, not interstate 12 - but that route only increases average commute time.

Bryce needs to speak to his probation officer to change the time.

Last edited:

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
It is state highway 12, not interstate 12 - but that route only increases average commute time.
Not state highway 12, either, though that is a beautiful road to travel. It is also known as the Highway of Legends. It is, however, in the very southern part of the state, connecting the towns of Trinidad and Walsenburg by running a circular path through the mountains (rather than the more straight route now offered by I-25). It is thus far south from the Denver-Boulder metro area. So I'm curious what alternate route the map app you used actually picked, hopefully it wasn't choosing routes that clearly don't connect Highland's Ranch and Boulder. :D

There is no route available that Bryce can take that will get him between Highland Ranch and Boulder in 45 minutes....Bryce needs to speak to his probation officer to change the time.
No disagreement with that.

quincy

Whatever. :) I am sure Bryce knows his way around.

The important thing is that he gets a time allowance change approved.

Last edited:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
[QUOTE="Taxing Matters, post: 3595693, member: 676095]Also, interstate highways with even numbers run east-west, whereas those with odd numbers run north-south. [/QUOTE]

That is not always the case.

In New York, I-495 (the infamous Long Island Expressway) runs east-west.

Last edited:

quincy

Bryce will want to have on hand a print off of distances (from maybe more than one reliable source, as the information varies a bit) and the average times to travel those distances.

I found nothing that would make a 45 minute commute time allowance a reasonable one - and it would be even less reasonable to expect any commute time would not need to be adjusted for bad weather.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
The LIE is a little complicated, as they intended more than actually was completed.

As far as many Long Islanders are concerned, it's primary enough, since it's the only way out that doesn't require a ship or new suspension system. (<-- Sunrise Highway needs a little work.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">