• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pre-trial vs "judge to hear motion"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

AuburnAngl

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I am trying to figure out the difference between the two. OUr pre-trial was continued and rescheduled for Nov 5th. My atty's office stated that this is a not a pre-trial but it's for the items in the motion to be "heard".

Can someone please tell me if I can expect to actually get something accomplished on this day?

A

AuburnAngl

BTW, the items that are listed in the motion are:

1) Contempt charge against ex for not paying IRS taxes
2) Motify shared parenting plan previously approved by court
3) Asking the court to allow me to move the children out of state
4) Asking the court to review child support, medical insurance etc
5) Assign new GAL
6) Review prior division of land in divorce
7) Asked court to direct ex to stop making disparaging remarks, calling names or fight in front of children

I am sure that all of this will not be ordered in one day, but I was wondering what I could hope to accomplish.

Thanks for your time.

J

JoandJa'smom

Anytime there are motions to be heard an Associate judge for the regular judge usually handles them. The regular judge will know about everything that happens w/the Associate judge as they are his/her assitant. The associate judge hears all the issues that can be solved before all the main issues are taken before the regular judge. No biggy.

JoandJa'smom

A

AuburnAngl

So.. it'll be like the hearings that we had during the divorce. I was just hoping that there will be things decided that day, and not just temp orders etc. I am sure that there will be some things decided, just not sure of how much. We will find out soon enough.

Thanks for your input.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">