• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Preference Beneficiary life ins

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bjamm1972

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Il
From almost everything I have read, if there is no designated beneficiary on a life insurance claim, the money would go into the deceased estate to be divided between survivors ie.,spouse, minor children. Then I come across what is called a Preference Beneficiary where the insurance says they will pay in order of spouse then children. Now I am totally confused. Which is right by law? Can a Preference Beneficiary be challenged if that is the case, On the basis that the deceased has a minor child who is 14 and deceased was married to surviving spouse for 1 year. Doesn't the minor child have any rights to his fathers insurance money for his future?

Last edited:

ShyCat

Which is right by law?
One is law, the other is a contractual clause. If a policy has such a clause, then that prevails. If a policy does not have such a clause, the intestate statutes come into play.

Can a Preference Beneficiary be challenged if that is the case?
On what basis? "I don't like it" would not be legal basis on which to object to a perfectly valid clause in the life insurance policy. It is, after all, what the owner of the policy and the insurance company agreed to.

Dandy Don

Where did you find this information about a "Preference Beneficiary"--was it associated with any particular insurance company or just generic information you found on a website?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">