• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

preferential parking citation- doctors note

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Your driver illegally parked. Period. Even if the handicap placard were displayed, the car was not, according to you, parked in a handicapped space, so it did not belong there. Have you read the code - Ron generously provided a link. There's nothing in there about those with a handicapped plate/placard being exempt.

It is not that the handicap placard was not displayed.
Actually, per state law (as cited above), if a handicap placard had been properly displayed, then the car could have parked there.

Not that it matters here, of course. A doctor's note is not a handicap placard.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Actually, per state law (as cited above), if a handicap placard had been properly displayed, then the car could have parked there.

Not that it matters here, of course. A doctor's note is not a handicap placard.
Then the argument should be that they had a valid handicap placard, present proof of that, and that they forgot to use it, and beg for leniency.

It is the responsibility of the driver to park legally, not the passenger. When I give my handicapped neighbor a ride, it is my responsibility to make sure that she brought her placard with her before parking in a space, and it is my responsibility to make sure it is displayed appropriately before getting out of the car after parking. *My* car will be ticketed otherwise, and *I* will be the one responsible for paying the ticket, not my passenger.

Which begs the question: why isn't the driver of the car the one posting?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">