• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

pregnancy discrimination laws help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

momluvs3

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Virginia

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what are my rights If any concerning the following.... In 1998 I was hired as a vet asssiatnt for an animal clinic in Fredericksburg,Va. In 1999 I became pregnant with my third child, the pregnancy was normal but my employer seemed to be harder on me after he found out. I was made to do twice as much lifting and labor than most of the other assistants In may when I was 7 months preganant, he started to hint to me that I should quit, I explained to him that I was fine, although I was pretty exhausted I kept on.IMy boss Informed me that june that He was going to hire someone to take my place and that after the baby I could come back to work. I stayed on until he hired someone else and trained her to take on my duties, I was under the impression that I would be back in a couple months. In July I stopped work to go on a maternity leave. July 29th My sone was born, By athe end of August I was ready to return to work, When My employer refused me a job of any sort, They had opening available, I was in tears I let it go until now. when I was told by another former employee that he shoulnt have done that and that the girl who replaced me took a 4 month vacation without notice and was hired back immediatly upon her return. I just dont understant why this happened to me :(:(

Beth3

It's possible you were discriminated against on the basis of your pregnancy but one would have to look at more leave situations that have occured at this clinic than just the one you mention to see if there is a pattern. Plus we don't know anything about this other employee's four month "vacation." I presume your info on that is second hand at best.

The bottom line here is that there isn't enough to go on to offer an opinion one way or the other, except to say it's possible prohibited discrimination occurred. It may be a moot issue though. I don't have the statute of limitations at hand for the Pregnancy Discrimination Act but it's probably a lot shorter than the three years that have passed. You can give a quick call to the EEOC or do an internet search on the PDA and find out what that is. If the statute of limitations has tolled, even if your past employer is guilty of flagrant discrimination it's too late for you to do anything about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">