• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pregnancy Discrimination??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

erw973

What is the name of your state?Florida

I work in a place of business who currently is relocating to a new office. Along with this new office the management has decided to change the color of our uniforms. I have been employed with this company for over 90 days and was told that at 90 days I would receive my uniform which I never did since they were going to change them.

We are now in our new office and I received a letter that was dispursed to the entire staff. The letter says that everyone will receive 5 uniforms and then continues on to say that their "pregnant staff" (which lists our names without asking us first) would receive their new uniforms once they return from Maternity leave.

Meanwhile we are expected to go out and by these uniforms ourselves with the colors they approved.

I would also like to reiterate that this is a obsterics practice which I am a patient of and feel they also may have violated a Hippa law.

Please advise.

Thanks

seniorjudge

I would also like to reiterate that this is a obsterics practice which I am a patient of and feel they also may have violated a Hippa law.

Explain this please. Thank you.

rmet4nzkx

erw973 said:
What is the name of your state?Florida

I work in a place of business who currently is relocating to a new office. Along with this new office the management has decided to change the color of our uniforms. I have been employed with this company for over 90 days and was told that at 90 days I would receive my uniform which I never did since they were going to change them.

We are now in our new office and I received a letter that was dispursed to the entire staff. The letter says that everyone will receive 5 uniforms and then continues on to say that their "pregnant staff" (which lists our names without asking us first) would receive their new uniforms once they return from Maternity leave.

Meanwhile we are expected to go out and by these uniforms ourselves with the colors they approved.

Please advise.

Thanks
When you are employed at the same place you receive medical care, may cause some problems. Is your pregnancy a secret? Do they offer the uniform in a maternity style? Is it possible to get 2 uniforms in Maternity with 3 issued following leave or to wear your current maternity clothes or scrubs in the same color as the new uniforms?

erw973

seniorjudge said:

Explain this please. Thank you.
I would think that unless my employer (which also is my doctor) and myself had an agreement that I was making my pregnancy a public announcement to the staff that this letter would be a vioaltion of the privacy act... Is this not the case???

erw973

rmet4nzkx said:
When you are employed at the same place you receive medical care, may cause some problems. Is your pregnancy a secret? Do they offer the uniform in a maternity style? Is it possible to get 2 uniforms in Maternity with 3 issued following leave or to wear your current maternity clothes or scrubs in the same color as the new uniforms?
My pregnancy was never intended to be a secret but it still does not give the practice the right to announce it in a letter to the staff. This would still be a violation of privacy.

I have talked to 3 people in management about the uniforms and they all say that I will be required to purchase my own. I called the company they use for their uniforms and although they don't carry "Maternity" sizes they do have sizes that I would fit in that would get me through my pregnancy.

rmet4nzkx

erw973 said:
My pregnancy was never intended to be a secret but it still does not give the practice the right to announce it in a letter to the staff. This would still be a violation of privacy.

I have talked to 3 people in management about the uniforms and they all say that I will be required to purchase my own. I called the company they use for their uniforms and although they don't carry "Maternity" sizes they do have sizes that I would fit in that would get me through my pregnancy.
Let me restate my question.
Did anyone else in the practice know you are pregnant prior to the letter? And if not, how far along are you now? The fact that you are pregnant and will be on maternity leave is something that needs to be known by the management of the practice in order to schedule.

I'm sure that when the decisions were made about uniforms you were not intentionally discriminated against.

I suggest that you inform them that the uniform company doesn't supply maternity versions of the uniform but can supply a larger size to accommodate you and ask that they provide 2-3 uniforms in the larger size for your pregnancy as per the contract and allow you to order the remaining 2-3 prior to return from leave when your post pregnancy size is better known, that allows for 1-2 to be cleaned while the other is worn. It may be possible to alter the larger uniforms after pregnancy. The other option is to be allowed to wear your own clothes, with a smock/lab coat/scrubs, you may want to discuss this with the other pregnant staff and present this as a group.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">