• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

pregnant and just got fired is this legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Sandi A

To whom may read this,
I am 7 weeks pregnant with severe side effects that has landed me to stay home under Dr.'s orders with an IV and a nurse that comes to my home. Under the doctor's orders I am not to go to work, I have no vacation time and no sick time it was all used up last week. Since I have no time my employer is firing me even after my doctor wrote them a note explaining my health issue. I have been with the Co. since November 2000, in South Florida. Is this legal and what are my rights if any?

ALawyer

If the firing was on account of the pregnancy, and would not have happened if, say, you were a man with a back problem, that's actionable. But if it would have happened if you were a man, I don't think so. BUT I would suggest that you call your State Labor Department and ask.

ALSO, whatever else, make sure you continue, under COBRA or a state law, your health insurance!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">