• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

pregnant teenage daughter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tdsmoonchild

What is the name of your state? Texas

I just found out that my 15 year old daughter is pregnant. What are my rights and what are my obligations. Likewise, what are my daughter's rights and what are her obligations. Can I make her get an abortion or give the baby up for adoption? If I am obligated to make financial, legal, medical, and education decisions for my daughter, how does that change once she has a baby? Am I then responsible for her and the baby?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

tdsmoonchild said:

I just found out that my 15 year old daughter is pregnant. What are my rights and what are my obligations. Likewise, what are my daughter's rights and what are her obligations. Can I make her get an abortion or give the baby up for adoption? If I am obligated to make financial, legal, medical, and education decisions for my daughter, how does that change once she has a baby? Am I then responsible for her and the baby?

My response:

Way to go! Great parent you turned out to be! Here comes ANOTHER Welfare baby (sigh). Did you ever think of reporting the "father" for rape? Did you ever think of going after the "father" for child support when the child is born?

And no, you can't "force" your child to get an abortion, or give the baby up for adoption - - even though one of those choices would be best for her. However, the child might like growing up in a single-wide trailer with the rest of the trash. Who knows?

IAAL

T

titansfan

let your daughter make her decison and dont pressure her

niether set of grandparents have ANY LEGAL RIGHTS to the baby. nor do you or his parents have any legal right to make decisons about the baby, you are NOT the parents. this is soley your daughter and the father's decison if they place the child for adoption, or your daughter gets an abortion, neither you nor his parents can force your daughter to have an abortion, or place the child for adoption, its not your decision to make. the babys father will be responsible for paying child support when a court order is in place, and he can file for visitation, which will be his right. your daughter and the babys father need all the support they can get right now from both sets of parents, not pressure about having an abortion, or placing the child for adoption.

tdsmoonchild

thanks but not what I was asking

titansfan said:
your daughter and the babys father need all the support they can get right now from both sets of parents, not pressure about having an abortion, or placing the child for adoption.
Thanks, but I was asking for LEGAL advice! I can go to the "Good Parenting Forum" to hear about how much "support" my daughter needs. Let me pose a scenerio which may help with what I'm asking specifically.

Say my daughter gets sick and needs a surgery. I as her conservator must sign my consent to that surgery. Right? If my daughter then has a baby, am I still her conservator, while she is the baby's conservator???? How is it that she can have a responsiblity for a child when she legally doesn't have responsibility for herself until she is 18? After she has the baby, if she does, am I still responsible for making decisions concerning her healthcare, education, etc. Is she automatically emancipated when she has the child? Will I somehow be held responsible for her and the baby?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Way to go! Great parent you turned out to be! Here comes ANOTHER Welfare baby (sigh). Did you ever think of reporting the "father" for rape? Did you ever think of going after the "father" for child support when the child is born?

And no, you can't "force" your child to get an abortion, or give the baby up for adoption - - even though one of those choices would be best for her. However, the child might like growing up in a single-wide trailer with the rest of the trash. Who knows?

IAAL

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
tdsmoonchild said:
Say my daughter gets sick and needs a surgery. I as her conservator must sign my consent to that surgery. Right? If my daughter then has a baby, am I still her conservator, while she is the baby's conservator????
Yes.

tdsmoonchild said:
How is it that she can have a responsiblity for a child when she legally doesn't have responsibility for herself until she is 18?
Because she is the child's mother.

tdsmoonchild said:
After she has the baby, if she does, am I still responsible for making decisions concerning her healthcare, education, etc.
Yes. (edit - this does NOT, however, mean that you can force her to have an abortion. Nor, since you have no rights to the child, can you force her to give the child up for adoption.)

tdsmoonchild said:
Is she automatically emancipated when she has the child?
No.

tdsmoonchild said:
Will I somehow be held responsible for her and the baby?
You are responsible for your daughter until she is 18. You are not legally responsible for the baby.

Wolflmg

tdsmoonchild said:

Great. Another set of parents that want to force their child to have an abortion. How could you even think about doing that? Do you know the emotional affect it would have on her? Do you really want to do that to her. This girl from my class, went through the same thing and she was never the same again, thanks to her parents. Yeah, legally they coudln't, but what's a 16 year old to do?

The best thing to do would be sit down and talk with her, the boyfriend and his parents. And see what they want to do. Go to a consouler that deals with this, there are other optuons besides abortion. Remember this is you grandchild. Yeah I agree a 15 year old shouldn't be raising a baby, but you don't have to kill the baby to solve it. Their's adoption, even open adoptions, where she can choose the family and even be able to visit her child. The child would know that she is the birth mother, but the family she chose are the parents.

Don't make the same mistake, that my classmates parents made. Or my kid sis's, rotten ex boyfriends parents made.

tdsmoonchild

Wolflmg said:
Great. Another set of parents that want to force their child to have an abortion. How could you even think about doing that?QUOTE]

Is this the "Moral Majority Free Legal Advice Forum"? Or the "Psychologist Moderated Free Legal Advice Forum"?

Wolflmg

tdsmoonchild said:
Wolflmg said:
Great. Another set of parents that want to force their child to have an abortion. How could you even think about doing that?QUOTE]

Is this the "Moral Majority Free Legal Advice Forum"? Or the "Psychologist Moderated Free Legal Advice Forum"?

The emotion damage of forceing your child to get an abortion will be very great. That isn't something you can just take back. It will change the relationship with your child greatly. She'll never be able to look at you the same, because of what you forced her to do.

Do you really want to do that your daughter, to your relationship with her. Yeah I can understand you don't want her to runine her life, by having a baby. No one wants that on their kid, but I can garanteeue that by forceing this on her, will ruine her life. Another girl I know whoes parents forced, was never happy, not until years later she gave birth to her child. She always felt like something was missing.

If you truely love you daughter, you wont force her to do something she doesn't want to do and legally you can't. This isn't homework. This is a life changing expereance, that will affect her more then any homework assignment.

AHA

tdsmoonchild said:
Wolflmg said:

How about answering the question of where the baby's father is? Are you making sure he is held responsible?

Before finding that out, there is no point taking this thread further.

AHA

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

Because it's easier to be pissy. That's how Trailer People deal with problems.

IAAL
Well, then it's time they pulled their selfish heads out of their selfish @sses and deal with straightening everything out before the new poor soul gets dragged into the mess.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">