• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pregnant Women's Rights in Workplace?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Kris

Hi! Perhaps you can help me find out information about a pregnant woman's rights in the workplace.

The new manager where I work is eager to get rid of long-time employees in favor of friends of his with whom he has worked at other stores.

He is NOT the type to blatantly say, "you're pregnant, you're fired." He IS the type to make working conditions unbearable to make me want to quit when he learns I am pregnant. ("Oh, you're pregnant? Hey, why don't you pick up that copy machine over there? Oh, and from now on, you will work only after midnight, and I'm cutting your hours to 25 a week instead of 40. What's that? You'll lose your medical benefits and you won't be able to pay for your baby expenses? Awww!")

What do I do?

E

Ex HR Guy

Get to a lawyer who can help you build a case -- this is absolutely illegal -- but you have to prove it. Start keeping a diary now.

A

Attorney_Replogle

Please check out this web site's info on employment law. You should be covered by the federal Family and Medical Leave Act, as well as possible state laws that prohibit discrimination in the work place based on sex or pregnancy. Keeping a journal is good advice. What you want to do is list the typical tasks that you have been doing versus what the manager now requires you to do after learning of your pregnancy. Also, if you have an employee handbook or personnel polices and procedures manual, keep this handy. Take care!

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">