• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pregnency - pre-existng

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

AzMsMataz

What is the name of your state? Arizona

I'm 3 months pregnent, on the verge of quiting my job due to the fact that they won't let me take time off for several things - however my question is will I be able to go on my husband's insurance and still have the baby and everything covered or will I have to get the cobra and pay till the baby is born? Or will I be able to get on my husband's insurance? I have heard about being able to if there is no break in insurance but does that cover pregnency?

Thank you
Nichole

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
As long as you go from one group plan to another group plan (doesn't matter if it's yours or your husbands) HIPAA applies, and under HIPAA, pregnancy cannot be considered a pre-existing condition. So as long as you don't try to pick up an individual plan, you shouldn't have any issues with the pregnancy being considered pre-ex.

In most cases, you are entitled to go on a spouses plan as long as you join within 30 days of your losing your other coverage. However, that is a contractual issue, not legal, so the only ones who can tell you for certain are your husband's employers. In the unlikely event that they only allow spouses to join at open enrollment, your best bet would indeed be COBRA; however, it's unlikely that you will not be able to join your husband's plan immediately.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">