• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

prenups in WA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

chefstella

My dad and his girlfriend live in Washington state. They are planning to marry in May. Can he include information in his prenup regarding his children's right to make burial decisions, make reference to the fact that his children's names are on his living will and they will still be making health decisions for him? He has a will stating we are to receive his assets, but since he will be getting married, should he have that altered to indicate his change of marital circumstance and that his children are still his financial heirs? The kids live in California and Conneticut. Dad was in California and that is where his will, living will, etc. were drawn up. Since he now resides in Washington, should those be redone too?

Thank you,
Darby Z.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

chefstella said:
My dad and his girlfriend live in Washington state. They are planning to marry in May. Can he include information in his prenup regarding his children's right to make burial decisions, make reference to the fact that his children's names are on his living will and they will still be making health decisions for him? He has a will stating we are to receive his assets, but since he will be getting married, should he have that altered to indicate his change of marital circumstance and that his children are still his financial heirs? The kids live in California and Conneticut. Dad was in California and that is where his will, living will, etc. were drawn up. Since he now resides in Washington, should those be redone too?

Thank you,
Darby Z.
My response:

Since marriage is a "life changing" event, your father should definately have all of his documents changed to reflect that fact, and make sure that Dad adds those items you mentioned placed into both his Pre-Nup and his new Will.

Good luck to you.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">