• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Prenuptial agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

culk

What is the name of your state? New York

My question is about prenuptial agreements.

I am entering into my second marriage soon. I have two children from a previous marriage. Currently I have no source of income because I am completing an MBA program. My previous marriage left me with no assets but fortunately I also have no debts other than child support. My fiance is a professional woman with good income and fairly substantial assets. Obviously, she is the one pushing the idea of a prenuptial agreement. Although I currently have no income my prospects are good.

At this point I want to know what I should be careful to avoid and what to include.

R

RVLindskog

You need to think of prenups and a "what if in the future". You need to think about what will happen if you make a million in the futire and get divorsed. Do you want her to have anything. You need to put things in % in the prenup. Example. If Jane Doe and John Smith end this marriage within 10 years of the date of the begining og the marriage then Jane Doe is intittled to 75% of what John Smith made during those years.
Also you need to think about affairs in the prenup. Do you wnat the other person to get anything if the marriage ends in divorse because one cheats? A prenup is kindof like a will for worst case scenario in marriages.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">