• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Prenuptial Agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

Irishgypsy

What is the name of your state? Oregon

My husband voluntarily destroyed the original copy of our prenuptial agreement that assigned all of his future retirement benefits and other assets to his son by a previous marriage. He had given his son a photocopy, which he says is "lost". In the event that my husband dies before he applies for retirement, is the photocopy as enforceable as the original?

JETX

"In the event that my husband dies before he applies for retirement, is the photocopy as enforceable as the original?"
*** That would depend on the facts of the 'recovery' of the document. In any case, this could be an expensive and lengthy legal issue to be resolved after the fact. Why not simply dispose of it now by having him make a will and renounce the 'pre-nup' agreement?
Get with a local attorney who can help remove this potential problem BEFORE it happens.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">