• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

prescription mistake

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mandy7181

What is the name of your state? Georgia

My husband was seen the the ER of my local hospital on 7/14/2002 for an airgun shot to the left hand. When we arrived they asked him what he was allergic to. Among the drugs he listed was codiene. Codiene makes my husband nauseated and causes mental disturbances. They proceeded to treat the injury. While he was still under the effects of the painkillers, the doctor prescribed him Lortab 7.5 which contains a codiene derivative. My husband didnt realize what the drug was until we got the prescription and got home. I may be wrong but i thought they were supposed to glance at the chart before prescribing any medications and that the prescription should have been double checked at the pharmacy. This is not the first time my husband has recieved a drug that he is allergic to at this hospital. Do we have a case or if not, what course of action can we take to insure that this doesnt happen to someone with a more severe allergy to a drug. Lawyers only please respond

ellencee

Lortab is the same as Vicodin, or the now famous Oxycontin. It is a 'synthetic' Codeine and is often used in patients who are allergic to Codeine and vice versa. For example, I am allergic to Lortab, but can take Codeine with no problem.

I don't see where you have a claim at all, even if your husband had a reaction to Lortab, which you did not say he did. He reported an allergy to Codeine, not to Lortab, Vicodin, Oxycontin, or any other of it's names.

Oh--you want an attorney only to answer, not a pharmacist, or an RN, or a medical doctor--nevermind my answer.

IAAL, HomeGuru, LegalBeagle, Halket? anyone?

mandy7181

actually i did say that my husband reacts to it. When you have an allergy you react every time. Also the info papers on the drug specifically state DO NOT use if you are allergic to codiene. Why would they prescribe something that was even a synethetic form of the actual drug to someone who had a known allergy.

D

dadrummer

This is not a answer to your questions, just a suggestion.

Ellencee is a Registered Nurse Consultant, which is why she replied to your post. I think if you go back and re-read her reply your questions were answered. To demand only attorneys reply to your post is somewhat arrorgant. If you hang around long enough you will learn when ellencee speaks people listen, even attorneys.

Good luck

D

dadrummer

ellencee,
and to think, I was apart of your 500th post!! Happy Anniversary!!

rat-a-tat-tat........

ellencee

dadrummer
(bright blush) No wonder my ya-ya sisterhood name for my maiden name was 'Duchess Talks Too Much'!!!

You play and sing and I'll do the backup moves; ready?

...you talk too much, you worry me to death, you talk too much, you even worry my pet, you just t-a--a--a-a-alk, you talk too much...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">