• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Presentation created outside of work, but presented at work.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

drewber11

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

I am a licensed counselor and professional speaker. I had created a seminar presentation in 2012 that I copyrighted (did not file a copyright, just added copyright (c) to the Powerpoint). In 2013, I presented the seminar to counselors at my place of employment. I was not asked to do this, but volunteered to present it. It went over well and I am now being asked by my employer to do the presentation to some of the employer's external clients. My employer has asked me to submit the Powerpoint so they can "rebrand" it with the company logo for this presentation to their clients.

I don't mind doing this, however, I still want to own the legal rights to the presentation to continue using it in my professional speaking business, but fear that if I give it to the employer to rebrand, they will claim ownership of the presentation, even though it was not created for them, created outside of work and presented in my personal business prior to ever being presented to the employer.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

I am a licensed counselor and professional speaker. I had created a seminar presentation in 2012 that I copyrighted (did not file a copyright, just added copyright (c) to the Powerpoint). In 2013, I presented the seminar to counselors at my place of employment. I was not asked to do this, but volunteered to present it. It went over well and I am now being asked by my employer to do the presentation to some of the employer's external clients. My employer has asked me to submit the Powerpoint so they can "rebrand" it with the company logo for this presentation to their clients.

I don't mind doing this, however, I still want to own the legal rights to the presentation to continue using it in my professional speaking business, but fear that if I give it to the employer to rebrand, they will claim ownership of the presentation, even though it was not created for them, created outside of work and presented in my personal business prior to ever being presented to the employer.
You should license the work to your employer, preserving all of your copyrights in the work but allowing for the employer's use of your seminar presentation under the limited terms and conditions detailed in the license. This would be a non-exclusive license that you would be creating to cover your employer's use of the work.

If you do not transfer any of your exclusive rights in the presentation to your employer in a written and signed agreement, your employer cannot claim ownership of rights in the work.

I suggest you sit down with a lawyer in your area to draft a license that protects your rights.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">