• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Prevention of slander

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Justwanttoknow

What is the name of your state? Illinois
Does a Village owned facility have an obligation to prevent confrontations between people where one person publically slanders the other and creates a nasty scene ? Can the facility be required to send a cease and decease letter on behalf of the slandered party ? What level of security is expected in a Village owned facility where people gather ? I was slandered publically by someone who got in my face and made some false accusations loudly so that others would hear and lose respect for me. I filed a Police report the next day, but was told that this was a civil matter and there was nothing the Police could do. I was told to call the Police immediately if this happened again. I feel that there should be a better level of security than the option of calling the Police after something happens again. How many times does something like this have to happen before it becomes a Police matter.

Thank you for your responses.What is the name of your state?

seniorjudge

Justwanttoknow said:
Does a Village owned facility have an obligation to prevent confrontations between people where one person publically slanders the other and creates a nasty scene ? Can the facility be required to send a cease and decease letter on behalf of the slandered party ? What level of security is expected in a Village owned facility where people gather ? I was slandered publically by someone who got in my face and made some false accusations loudly so that others would hear and lose respect for me. I filed a Police report the next day, but was told that this was a civil matter and there was nothing the Police could do. I was told to call the Police immediately if this happened again. I feel that there should be a better level of security than the option of calling the Police after something happens again. How many times does something like this have to happen before it becomes a Police matter.

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?p=884061#post884061

There are thousands of posts similar to yours so I have prepared a standard answer:

Get a lawyer.

Invest $20K and three years.

Sue the bad people for defamation.

If you win, expect them to keep doing it.

If you lose, expect them to keep doing it.

Stand by for other opinions.

divgradcurl

Justwanttoknow said:

The town has no obligation to prevent you from being slandered. Your remedy is to sue the person who allegedly slandered you. The town is in no way involved.

tranquility

Although the question morphed through the description, not even a judge will "prevent" slander. In the United States, we have the first amendment. Prior restraint of speech is saved for national security issues and a few others. Slander is not one of them.

Justwanttoknow

Thank you for your responses. I realize that no one can stop someone from talking, but when it became public heated and disorderly and caused those around to be alarmed, I feel the line was crossed. Now my family is afraid to go back to this place for fear of this person doing something again. This is a program that will continue and we do not want to stop going just because this person can't mind their own business. This is where my question comes in about the facilities obligation to maintain order. I don't think they need security guards, but had there been security this probably would not have happened. Can I ask (demand) that whoever is in charge of security confront this person and ask them to conform to the standard rules of conduct while in the facility ?

divgradcurl

Can I ask (demand) that whoever is in charge of security confront this person and ask them to conform to the standard rules of conduct while in the facility ?
You can ask, but the facility is under no legal obligation to do anything.

Justwanttoknow

Prevention of Slander

Does anybody Know what laws apply to something like this ? Where can I find a sample Cease and Desist letter ?

xylene

If someone harrasess you in a public place you call the police.

You are expecting the town community center administration to act as a security agency.

It won't work

Whatever beef you have with this person, it is yours to either ignor or take to the police.

The POLICE will decide if this is a crimianl offence worthy of arrest.

If this person is slandering you, you can sue them It will be expensive and you will have to prove damages. Unless the damage to your reputation resulted in economic loss you are likely to get nothing.

When people confront you in public ignor them, or move away. If they persist, tell them they are harassing you.

Stay cool within those rules of conduct, but a person has to breech the law for it to be a crime.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">