• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Principal coerced (forced?) to resign

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jenjenk

What is the name of your state? NJ

If a person resigns from a position (in this case, the Principal of a school) and letters are sent out to parents saying that this wonderful man will be leaving due to personal reasons ~ should he be allowed to rescind his resignation? He is due to leave early January and the public raised such a fuss over his leaving that the "truth" is finally coming out ~ which is that he never actually authored the resignation letter but was handed a letter to sign. Rumor has it that the superintendent wants him out for whatever reasons. The public has been showing up for board meetings and asking the board to accept his rescission but they now have a lawyer on their side coaching them and telling them not to answer any questions. The Principal himself even stood up and said that he hastily signed the resignation letter and asked the board to make a motion to accept his rescission ~ the board just sat there in silence while 200 parents were practically begging them to accept. Obviously, there's something fishy going on but my question is, can we (the parents) do anything more to help keep this principal in? Can a resignation letter be put "on hold" so that his time doesn't run out before it's too late? Thanks!

Beth3

This is not a legal issue. This is a policy issue and one for the school board to decide. Not knowing why the superintendent wants this principal gone, it's impossible to comment on whether he should be allowed to rescind his "resignation."

It's possible that the superintendent and school board know some things that you (the parents) don't and they aren't at liberty to share those with you.

JETX

I agree with Beth, and add that there is no statutory requirement that the board accept his request to rescind his resignation.

J

jenjenk

Thank you for the replies! I guess what I would like to know is if there is anything the public can do if we've lost all confidence in the board of education? Or is it now up to the principal to hire an attorney to prove that he's been railroaded (if he hasn't already) Maybe this will help ~ here's the story from our local newspaper if you have a second to read it: http://www.thnt.com/thnt/story/0,21282,871168,00.html?sec=main?=centraljersey

Thanks!

JETX

"I guess what I would like to know is if there is anything the public can do if we've lost all confidence in the board of education?"
*** Yes. You can field opposing candidates against them in the next election.

Actually, I can't see what all the uproar is about. I read the story and find it interesting that this person somehow felt compelled to sign the resignation letter that was presented to him. It is NOT relevant that he didn't write the letter. Clearly, a huge part of this story is being overlooked by the emotion of his supporters. Things like:
- What did this 'beloved' man do that caused the Board to want him out?
- And why did the Board (or someone else writer his resignation letter for him?
- And what lead this well-learned professional to even consider signing, much less actually sign, the proferred letter?

Personally, it sounds to me like the principal had a 'personal' issue that the Board is aware of.... and that it is none of the parents business. I would presume that the principal either has something to hide that caused him to resign, or did at the time.
Simply, WHY did he resign??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">