• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Principal residence question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CAowner

What is the name of your state? CA

Two years ago, I bought 10 acres of "vacant" land with the intention of building a house. The land is not actually vacant as it has an unpermitted cabin on it. I also moved a travel trailer onto the land and have lived here for two years. (There is electricity and a well.) It is my principal residence...I have no other. I have decided not to build and would like to sell the property.

My question is: If I have a capital gain, is it exempt from income tax? Or is it required that there be a "house" on the land to qualify as a principal residence?

Thanks for your help.

LdiJ

CAowner said:
What is the name of your state? CA

Two years ago, I bought 10 acres of "vacant" land with the intention of building a house. The land is not actually vacant as it has an unpermitted cabin on it. I also moved a travel trailer onto the land and have lived here for two years. (There is electricity and a well.) It is my principal residence...I have no other. I have decided not to build and would like to sell the property.

My question is: If I have a capital gain, is it exempt from income tax? Or is it required that there be a "house" on the land to qualify as a principal residence?

Thanks for your help.
By "travel trailer" do you mean an RV or camper? Or do you mean a mobile home?

LdiJ

CAowner said:
It is not a mobile home, but an RV trailer with wheels.

Thanks.
That is a "murky" one.....you really need a consult with a local professional. I personally wouldn't "call" that one without doing some serious case law research.

CAowner

Since I don't expect my capital gains to be over ~$40K, I'm not sure that I want to dance with the IRS to "murky" music over, at most, $6K. But somehow, this just doesn't seem right. I owned it, I lived on it. I suppose that instead of paying cash for land, I should have put 25% down on some tract house in Sacto and, in addition to the mortgage interest deduction, all my gains would be tax-free. Then again, I got to live for two years on 10 totally private forested acres of pine trees, incredible wildlife and clean mountain air. Priceless. (Yes, I did read Walden while living here!)

If anyone else has input, I'd love to hear it.

p.s. There is a 10-acre lot not far from here that is being advertised as "including a 25' travel trailer." Wonder if they are thinking the same thing....

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">