• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Printing college initials - trademark infringement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dcka0s

What is the name of your state? VA

I started making shirts with a quote of mine in the front and my school's initials on the back (in regular typeface... did not use actual school logo). The reason I did that was because the quote in the front was affiliated with the school's initials in the back.. (ie. (front) Beat *rival team* down!! (Back) My school's initials) My t-shirts have now become pretty popular around campus as I've started expounding on the type of quotes i've been writing on the front. I've since began selling my t-shirts to fellow students.

My question is if its legal for me to put my school's initials (in regular typeface) on the back of my t-shirts? Am I impeding on my school's trademark by doing that? Please help as I would not like it if my school for some reason decides to impede on my status as a law-abiding citizen/student.

Regards,
dcKa0s

divgradcurl

My question is if its legal for me to put my school's initials (in regular typeface) on the back of my t-shirts?
It depends on whether or not the school is claiming the initials in regular typeface as a trademark or not. You can search www.uspto.gov to see if they have registered the plain initials as a mark -- if they haven't, it doesn't mean that you are totally in the clear, as they could assert common-law rights against you, but if there is no registration, you are likely okay to use the plain initials.

You other optionis to simply ask the school if you can use the initials -- that would certainly clear up any potential ambiguity. Of course, they might say no...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">