• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Privacy breach

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jeep12

What is the name of your state? Texas.

I posted a payment online to my credit card account. Within a few minutes I received an email from a total stranger who stated he was misdirected on the website to my account information. He stated he was able to view all of my account information including my user i.d. I contacted the help desk tech support via telephone and told them about the issue. The tech support representative shocked at this news and stated he would take the problem to his supervisor. I demanded a quick reply with a solution. A customer service representative contacted me by phone and said that my account number was cancelled and new cards have been issued and would arrive in the mail. My problem is obvious. I have no idea who else, if anyone was able to view my account information. I feel my privacy was violated and a security breach occurred. I want to know if there is legal recourse for such an occurrance.

Veronica1228

jeep12 said:

I posted a payment online to my credit card account. Within a few minutes I received an email from a total stranger who stated he was misdirected on the website to my account information. He stated he was able to view all of my account information including my user i.d. I contacted the help desk tech support via telephone and told them about the issue. The tech support representative shocked at this news and stated he would take the problem to his supervisor. I demanded a quick reply with a solution. A customer service representative contacted me by phone and said that my account number was cancelled and new cards have been issued and would arrive in the mail. My problem is obvious. I have no idea who else, if anyone was able to view my account information. I feel my privacy was violated and a security breach occurred. I want to know if there is legal recourse for such an occurrance.
This could be construed as a violation of the Financial Modernization Act of 1999 also know as the Gramm-Leach Bliley Act. I'm not sure how far you'll get since it looks like it was an accidental glitch, but you can give it a shot. Go to www.ftc.gov to report it.

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

jeep12 said:

You have your legal resolution. Your cards were cancelled and your information protected.

other than that, what are you expecting?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">