• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

privacy law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

msm423955

Pennsylvania

My father in-law went and did a background check on me.
He did not have my permission and I am very upset over this.
He also managed to get my college transcripts.
What can I do to assure this not to happen again?

msm423955

Isn't there a law for colleges to not give out transcripts?
Also just my general privacy. I feel violated and uncomfortable talking to him now.
There has to be something wrong with what he did.

CdwJava

It is not illegal to do a background check on someone. Anyone can go on line to a public records background company, or to a state website that provides criminal history for a fee, and they can get whatever info is legally offered. Note that most court records are public records and many states allow criminal record review for a fee.

His having your college transcripts is not necessarily unlawful. But, the way he obtained them might be. Unless he obtained them in a fraudulent or unlawful manner, the fact that he has them is not a crime.

- Carl

quincy

Pennsylvania's Right to Know law, Section 708, lists exceptions to what can be legally released upon request. Exception (15)(i) to the Right to Know law is academic transcripts. You can access your own transcripts, but the college should not have released them to your uncle without your written consent.

I am not sure how your uncle was able to access your transcripts. I would inquire at the college.

Background checks will include the schools and colleges you attended, and the years you attended. They do not include your college records, which are considered confidential and include confidential information (ie. social security numbers).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">