• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

private car sales

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What do you see as different between my situation and theirs? Both of us had someone try to scam us by saying that there was a lien on a vehicle, when there was not. The scam is that they use the vehicle for as long as they want to use it, and then they play the scam to try to get their money back, so that they don't actually have to register it and resell it themselves.
I understand that 100% of your experience comes from being scammed, but your own anecdotal experience does not apply universally. It's entirely possible that there is just a glitch somewhere that can be corrected.

LdiJ

I understand that 100% of your experience comes from being scammed, but your own anecdotal experience does not apply universally. It's entirely possible that there is just a glitch somewhere that can be corrected.
I think that you are being a little naïve in this case Zig. The OP has already verified with the DMV that no lien exists.

Zigner

I think that you are being a little naïve in this case Zig. The OP has already verified with the DMV that no lien exists.
Yes, and the other party has been told there is a lien. If the OP and the other party go to the DMV together, they can get this straightened out.

LdiJ

Yes, and the other party has been told there is a lien. If the OP and the other party go to the DMV together, they can get this straightened out.
No, the other party claims there is a lien. Although, I do agree that if they go to the DMV together, the scam will be exposed. I simply disagree with the safety of the OP going anywhere with the scammer.

Zigner

No, the other party claims there is a lien.
What's the difference?
Although, I do agree that if they go to the DMV together, the scam will be exposed.
Fair enough - either way, the problem would be solved.
I simply disagree with the safety of the OP going anywhere with the scammer.
Because a DMV office is such a private, intimate and secluded place to be, right?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">