• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Private Residence Address on S-Corp Filing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rellim99

I have a small S-Corp in California. When I did the initial filing I had a physical office so naturally listed that as the Principal Executive Office and address of all the officers (which were me)? I need to renew and relist. It appears that I have to list my private residence as the "Principal Executive Office" address. No P.O. Boxes allowed. Naturally, I'm hesitant to list my residence address. Do I have any options?

quincy

I have a small S-Corp in California. When I did the initial filing I had a physical office so naturally listed that as the Principal Executive Office and address of all the officers (which were me)? I need to renew and relist. It appears that I have to list my private residence as the "Principal Executive Office" address. No P.O. Boxes allowed. Naturally, I'm hesitant to list my residence address. Do I have any options?
Register an agent and his address can often be used to receive mailings.

https://www.sos.ca.gov/business-programs/business-entities/faqs/#agent-question1

Last edited:

LdiJ

None that I can think of. There are some mailbox places (UPS stores?)that we give you a PO Box with a real address. You might check into that.

quincy

The UPS mailbox stores provide a physical address and, as adjusterjack noted and I mentioned, there are some registered agents who provide physical addresses to use for not only receipt of court documents but for regular business mail as well.

California’s Secretary of State has a list of state-registered corporate agents, accessible through the link I provided earlier.

zddoodah

When I did the initial filing I had a physical office so naturally listed that as the Principal Executive Office and address of all the officers (which were me)?
Despite your use of a question mark, this sentence is not a question. If you intended a question, I cannot discern what you intended to ask.

It appears that I have to list my private residence as the "Principal Executive Office" address.
Why do you say that? Also, are you talking about the Statement of Information (form #SI-100)? If so, you cannot use a P.O. box for item #3 and #8, but you can for item #4-7.

Naturally, I'm hesitant to list my residence address. Do I have any options?
There are companies that will act as registered agent for corporations for a fee (whether that fee is "nominal" is up to interpretation -- the most popular such company charges around $325 per year). You could also use a UPS store (or similar entity) address (this is not the same thing as a P.O. box).

quincy

It is okay to add a question mark to the end of a statement as a way to indicate the speaker/writer is unsure of his understanding. It should not be too difficult to discern a writer’s intent.

This is not an English class nor do all posters have English as their first language.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
None that I can think of. There are some mailbox places (UPS stores?)that we give you a PO Box with a real address. You might check into that.
By definition, the services that UPS stores and the like provide are not "PO Boxes".

quincy

Right. By definition, Post Office (P.O.) Boxes are located in post offices. The UPS stores offer mailboxes.

zddoodah

It is okay to add a question mark to the end of a statement as a way to indicate the speaker/writer is unsure of his understanding. It should not be too difficult to discern a writer’s intent.
I agree that it makes sense in some contexts, but it did not in the case of the sentence mentioned. The sentence in question was completely factual in nature and had no susceptibility of being a question (unless it was directed to someone with access to the particular document mentioned.

This is not an English class nor do all posters have English as their first language.
Indeed. And, if the OP used the question mark in error, that's fine. However, if the OP actually intended a question, then he/she should clarify what that question was.

quincy

I agree that it makes sense in some contexts, but it did not in the case of the sentence mentioned. The sentence in question was completely factual in nature and had no susceptibility of being a question (unless it was directed to someone with access to the particular document mentioned.

Indeed. And, if the OP used the question mark in error, that's fine. However, if the OP actually intended a question, then he/she should clarify what that question was.
This forum is really not the place for grammar correction. I know that some posts are difficult to understand and clarification can be requested but the title of this thread when combined with the content of the original post and the final question (“Do I have any options?”) makes it pretty clear what sort of advice/information rellim99 was seeking.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This forum is really not the place for grammar correction. I know that some posts are difficult to understand and clarification can be requested but the title of this thread when combined with the content of the original post and the final question (“Do I have any options?”) makes it pretty clear what sort of advice/information rellim99 was seeking.
I *think* the OP was asking in that second sentence (question?) whether it was correct for him to list himself as the only officer. Without knowing if the OP is the only officer, we really can't answer that. zddodah's statement may seem pedantic, but it really raises a valid point.

You are correct - the main thrust of this thread is related to options for listing the address for the corporation, but zddodah's post also addressed that question (quite well).

quincy

I *think* the OP was asking in that second sentence (question?) whether it was correct for him to list himself as the only officer. Without knowing if the OP is the only officer, we really can't answer that. zddodah's statement may seem pedantic, but it really raises a valid point.

You are correct - the main thrust of this thread is related to options for listing the address for the corporation, but zddodah's post also addressed that question (quite well).
Okay. I can see now what Doodah was trying to have clarified.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">